1 of 2
Tony Lunceford

PROVO — A Spanish Fork police officer's resignation was effective Wednesday after he was arrested last weekend for investigation of driving under the influence.

Patrolman Tony Lunceford and his wife, Janalee Lunceford, were arrested early Sunday morning for investigation of DUI, having an open container in the vehicle and having their windows tinted too dark, as well.

Spanish Fork police responded to 3420 W. Riverbottom Road just after 1:30 a.m. Sunday where they had received a report of a truck crashing into a utility box.

Once they realized who was in the car, Spanish Fork police called Utah Highway Patrol officers to handle the case, said UHP trooper Cameron Roden.

"You never like to see one of your own go down for something like this," Roden said. "But we're going to do what we need to do. We're officers still, but we have a job to do."

He commended Spanish Fork officers for their quick response to getting an unbiased party to handle the investigation.

UHP officers soon learned that both Luncefords had been driving the car — one before the crash, and one after for a few blocks.

They were cooperative, Roden said, but after they failed the field sobriety tests, they refused to take chemical tests.

Officers took them to the Utah County Jail where they obtained a warrant to obtain the chemical tests.

They were booked in just before 4 a.m. and bailed out two hours later.

Attempts to contact the Luncefords by phone were unsuccessful.

Lunceford had worked as a patrol officer for Spanish Fork since July 2004 and was not on duty when he was arrested, said Seth Perrins, assistant city manager for Spanish Fork.

Tuesday, Lunceford delivered a letter of resignation to the city and the police department, which became effective Wednesday, Perrins said.

Had Lunceford not resigned, the process would have been the same for any arrest or allegation against a city employee, Perrins said.

"Anytime you have an incident such as this, and it affects your ability to do your job ... (you're) placed on administrative leave," Perrins said. "(There's) an investigation ... a report is compiled and recommendations are made."

It's the first time in recent years, Perrins said, that an officer has resigned after being arrested himself.

"He was a good officer, a good guy," Perrins said. "I think everybody's very concerned about their friend and their co-worker, and hopes he'll be OK."

E-mail: [email protected]