Three residents of a West Valley home safely escaped Tuesday evening before a fire that started on an outside deck spread to the house's attic and caused about $120,000 worth of damage.

West Valley Fire Chief John Evans said an investigation was in progress following the incident, but it is believed the fire was started by a barbecue on the deck of the home, located at 6233 W. Radley Circle.

Fire crews had a brief scare while battling the blaze when it appeared that an area of the house's roof may collapse and a call to evacuate the building went out to firefighters. Evans said the roof did hold and it only took about 15 to 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.