Three residents of a West Valley home safely escaped Tuesday evening before a fire that started on an outside deck spread to the house's attic and caused about $120,000 worth of damage before being contained.

West Valley Fire Chief John Evans said an investigation was in progress follwing the incident, but it is believed that the fire was started by a barbeque on the deck of the home, located at 6233 W. Radley Circle.

Fire crews had a brief scare while battling the blaze when it appeared that an area of the house's roof may collapse and a call to evacuate the building went out to firefighters. Evans said the roof did hold, and it only took about 15 to 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.