J.D. Power and Associates on Wednesday released its annual survey of initial quality for 2008 model year vehicles, based on questionnaires from more than 81,500 new-vehicle owners.
These are the top performers and runners-up in each category. Activity vehicles refer to crossovers and sport utility vehicles.
• Subcompact car: Winner: Honda Fit. Runners-up: Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent.
• Compact car: Winner: Honda Civic. Runners-up: Toyota Prius, Hyundai Elantra.
• Compact sporty car: Winner: Mazda MX-5 Miata. Runners-up: Subaru Impreza, Pontiac Solstice.
• Compact premium sporty car: Winner: Mercedes Benz CLK-Class. Runners-up: Porsche Cayman, Volvo C70.
• Entry premium car: Winner: Infiniti EX-Series. Runners-up: Infiniti G-Series, Acura TSX, Volvo S40.
• Midsize car: Winner: Chevrolet Malibu. Runners-up: Mitsubishi Galant, Ford Fusion.
• Midsize premium car: Winner: Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Infiniti M-Series (tie). Runners-up: Lexus ES 350, Audi A6.
• Large car: Winner: Pontiac Grand Prix. Runners-up: Mercury Sable, Mercury Grand Marquis.
• Large premium car: Winners: Lexus LS. Runner-up: Mercedes Benz S-Class, Cadillac DTS.
• Compact activity vehicle: Winner: Honda CR-V. Runner-up: Chrysler PT Cruiser, Ford Escape.
• Midsize activity vehicle: Winner: Dodge Durango. Runners-up: Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander.
• Midsize premium activity vehicle: Winner: Lexus RX. Runners-up: Porsche Cayenne, Lexus GX 470.
• Large activity vehicle: Winner: Toyota Sequoia. Runners-up: Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon.
• Large premium activity vehicle: Winner: Lincoln Navigator. Runners-up: Infiniti QX56, Cadillac Escalade.
• Midsize pickup: Winner: Dodge Dakota. Runners-up: Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma.
• Large pickup: Winner: Chevrolet Silverado LD. Runners-up: Toyota Tundra, Chevrolet Avalanche.
• Van: Winner: Ford E-Series. Runners-up: Nissan Quest, Chevrolet Express.