• "The Curious Savage," Thursday through July 19 at Hale Centre Theatre, 3333 S. Decker Lake Drive.
The last time Hale did "Savage" was in 1991, and the theater has had requests to bring it back ever since. So, by popular demand, many of the cast members who made "Savage" popular the first time around has been reassembled: Mary Parker Williams, JaNae Cottam and Merrill Dodge.
Most importantly, it's very, very funny.Shows are nightly, except Sunday, at 7:30 p.m., with Saturday matinees at 12:30 and 4 p.m. Tickets are $13-$23 (801-984-9000 or www.halecentretheatre.org).
• "Disco Musical ... The Musical," Midvale Copperview Theatre Arts Youth Program's production runs Thursday through Saturday at Wheeler Historic Farm's Amphitheater, 6351 S. 900 East.
This production features more than 70 kids from across the Salt Lake Valley. Lawn chairs are recommended.Admission is free, show starts at 7:30 p.m.
• "High School Musical" opens Thursday and runs through July 12 at St. George Musical Theater, 200 N. 1000 East, St. George.
Based on the popular Disney made-for-TV movie, "High School Musical" looks at cliques, what it means to be a "geek" or a "jock" and shows how kids are "Breaking Free' and refuse to "Stick to the Status Quo."
Shows are Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays , 7:30 p.m., with Saturday matinees at 2 p.m. Tickets are $8-$15 (435-628-8755 or www.sgmt.org).
• "The King and I" opens Friday and runs through June 21 at SCERA Shell, 745 S. State, Orem.
A Rodgers and Hammerstein classic, it's the East vs. the West in this tale of strong-willed Anna and the barbarian king. It features some of Broadway's greatest songs "Getting to Know You," "Shall We Dance" and "Hello Young Lovers."Shows are nightly except Sundays and Wednesdays at 8 p.m. Tickets are $8-$14 (801-255-2787 or www.scera.org).
• "Medea" opens Wednesday and runs through Saturday. Celebrating its second year, Pinnacle Acting Company will perform at Midvale City Park Amphitheater, 7500 S. 455 West, Midvale.
Being presented as a workshop, this production gives the actors and audience a chance to experience a Greek tragedy that is seldom produced.Shows are each evening at 7 p.m.; blankets and lawn chairs are suggested. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door (www.pinnacleactingcompany.com).
• "Meanwhile Back at the Castle: A Cinderella Story" opens Thursday and runs through June 28 at Draper Historic Theatre, 12366 S. 900 East.
Star-struck Emma and movie-star heartthrob Nick are pulled into the "Cinderella" story with rollicking results. There's music, two grand balls, glass slippers and a meg-mix finale.Performances are nightly, except Sunday, with a 2 p.m. matinee on June 21. Tickets are $7-$11 (801-572-4144 or www.drapertheatre.org).
"Picasso at the Lapin Agile," Around the Globe Theatre Company, Tuesday through Saturday, Rose Wagner Center, 138 W. 300 South.
Written by Steve Martin, the play tells the story of a chance meeting between Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein, where a lengthy debate about the value of genius and talent ensues.Shows are nightly at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $12 (www.aroundtheglobetc.com).
• "The Sound of Music" opens Friday and runs through June 28 at Heritage Community Theatre, 2505 S. Hwy. 89, Perry.
Another Rodgers & Hammerstein classic, "Sound of Music" has memorable tunes "The Sound of Music," "My Favorite Things," "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and stars Shanna Smith as Maria and Bryce Day as Captain Von Trapp.Shows are Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., with some Saturday matinees at 2 p.m. Tickets are $7-$8, with $35 family passes (435-723-8392 or www.heritagetheatreutah.com).
• "The Spider and the Bee" runs Monday and Tuesday at the Rose Wagner Center, 138 W. 300 South.
Featuring students of Theatre Arts Conservatory, a program of Plan-B Theater Company, this children's tale is recommended for kids ages 4-12. Based on Jonathan Swift's book, the play is about a serious spider and a lighthearted bee in a great debate of science vs. art.Shows are 7 p.m. each night. Tickets are $5 (355-2787 or www.theatreartsconservatory.com).
E-mail: [email protected]