OREM — A car chase that started in Orem ended in Salt Lake City with the arrests of an 18-year-old Salt Lake man and a 16-year-old male juvenile.

Officers responded to a report of four Hispanic males burglarizing vehicles just after 4 a.m. Saturday in the area of 700 North and 500 West in Orem, although police were told the suspected burglars had left the area.

A responding officer noticed a green Honda Accord with a Hispanic male at the wheel and also saw another male pop up from the passenger seat as if hiding, Orem Police Lt. Doug Edwards said.

The officer attempted to stop the vehicle before it got on I-15 northbound and was unsuccessful, which resulted in the chase, which topped speeds of more than 100 mph. Edwards said the Utah Highway Patrol assisted in the pursuit, attempting to set up tire spikes along the way, but the width of the highway rendered the spikes ineffective.

The chase ended near 400 South in Salt Lake City when the driver surrendered and pulled over. The man was arrested by Orem police and booked into Utah County Jail on investigation of eight different counts, including possession of a stolen vehicle, three counts of burglary of a vehicle, theft, evading police and possession of burglary tools. The juvenile was arrested and booked into the Slate Canyon Juvenile Detention Center.

Edwards said the Honda was stolen in Salt Lake City. He said police found evidence that four cars had been broken into in Orem and that police also recovered hundreds of dollars worth of stolen car stereo equipment.

The paid had the specific intent to steal Honda Accords, Edwards said. He said they had numerous Honda Accord keys in their possession, which they allegedly tried in different Hondas' doors until a match was found. Edwards said the pursuing officer also noticed a black Honda Accord at the time he began his pursuit of the green car but could only pursue one of the cars. The black Honda, which was reported as stolen by its owner, was recovered later in Salt Lake City.