ANAHEIM, Calif. — Commissioner Bud Selig finally got around Wednesday to announcing what the rest of baseball has known for more than a year: The Los Angeles Angels will host the 2010 All-Star game.

The All-Stars will be at Anaheim for the first time since 1989, when Bo Jackson hit a 448-foot homer and was selected MVP. Nolan Ryan was the winning pitcher in the AL's 5-3 victory, and John Smoltz, the only player still active from that game, took the loss.

The only other All-Star game in Anaheim was in 1967, a 2-1 NL victory in 15 innings, the longest All-Star Game in history. Tony Perez hit the game-deciding home run off Catfish Hunter.

The 2010 game is scheduled for July 13.

This year's All-Star contest is at Yankee Stadium, and St. Louis will host the 2009 game. Arizona is the expected host in 2011, Kansas City in 2012 and the New York Mets' Citi Field in 2013.

Securing the All-Star game was a joint effort by the Angels and Anaheim, which is scheduled to go to state appellate court on June 20 in its fight over the team's 2005 name change from Anaheim Angels to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

SOSA MIGHT RETIRE AFTER 2009 WORLD CLASSIC: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Sammy Sosa might retire after representing his country in next year's World Baseball Classic.

"That's my wish," he said Wednesday during a telephone interview from Miami, "to put on my country's uniform so people can see me playing again."

Sosa said that he instructed his agent not to offer his services to any team.

"That doesn't mean I'm retiring," he said. "It's not time for that yet."

Sosa had 609 homers and 1,667 RBIs from 1989-07 for the Texas Rangers, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox and the Baltimore Orioles.

METS' MARTINEZ SHARP IN CLASS A START: Port St. Lucie, Fla., New York Mets ace Pedro Martinez pitched six sharp innings in a Class A start Wednesday night, staying on track to return to the majors next week.

The three-time Cy Young winner strained his left hamstring in his only start for New York on April 1 against Florida and has been on the disabled list since. The Mets hope he can rejoin the rotation next week at San Francisco.

"I am really excited," Martinez said. "I would love to be there. I know the team really needs a little bit of a pat on the back, and I hope my presence will make a difference for them."

Pitching for St. Lucie in the advanced Florida State League, Martinez gave up two runs and four hits. He threw 82 pitches, striking out six and walking none.

CHURCH REMAINS SIDELINED BY CONCUSSION: New York, Mets outfielder Ryan Church, who sustained his second concussion this season last week in Atlanta, remained at home Wednesday and will not rejoin the team for several days.

Church was injured trying to break up a double play May 20 against the Braves. He has not started a game since then but went 1-for-4 as a pinch hitter, accompanying the team on its trip to Colorado and then back to New York.

He reported not feeling well after both plane trips and the Mets said he would not play again until 48 hours after he is symptom-free.

Church missed a week in spring training when he was diagnosed with a concussion after colliding with teammate Marlon Anderson on a pop fly in an exhibition game.

TORRE READY FOR RETURN TO NEW YORK: Chicago, Joe Torre expects little to change when he manages his first game in New York since leaving the Yankees last fall.

When the Dodgers play the Mets on Thursday at Shea Stadium, he'll still be in the visiting dugout on the third-base side.

"The Met fans are different than the Yankee fans, that's for sure," Torre said. "I don't really anticipate anything different in that regard. I'm just wearing somebody's other uniform other than the Mets, so I'll still be the enemy over there."

Torre returns to New York after rejecting a one-year offer from the Yankees worth $5 million, a cut from his previous deal which paid $7.5 million a year.

BOONE ENDS COMEBACK BID IN NATS' FARM SYSTEM: Washington, Bret Boone has decided to retire again after a brief minor league stint in the Washington Nationals' farm system.

Boone batted .261 in 13 games for the Triple-A Columbus Clippers before leaving the team April 17. The 39-year-old second baseman was hoping to work his way back into the majors, where he hadn't played since 2005.

MARINERS TRADE BAEK TO PADRES: Seattle, the Mariners traded former part-time starting pitcher Cha Seung Baek to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday for Jared Wells in a swap of right-handers.

BRAVES' DIAZ PLACED ON 15-DAY DL WITH KNEE STRAIN: The Atlanta Braves placed outfielder Matt Diaz on the 15-day disabled list with a knee injury Wednesday and activated reliever Rafael Soriano from the DL.

Diaz suffered a strained ligament and a cut below his left knee that needed four stitches after trying to make a sliding catch in foul territory in the sixth inning Tuesday.

INDIANS ACTIVATE WESTBROOK: Cleveland, the Cleveland Indians activated right-hander Jake Westbrook from the disabled list to start Wednesday's game against the Chicago White Sox.

Westbrook, who had been on the DL since April 22 with a strained left muscle in the rib area, was 1-2 with a 2.73 ERA in four starts before the injury. He was injured April 19 against Minnesota. It was the fifth career trip to the DL for Westbrook, who is 63-64 in six major league seasons.

CUBS CHAIRMAN SAYS NO SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR BLEACHERS: Chicago, Cubs chairman Crane Kenney said Wednesday the team did not tell security personnel in the left field bleachers to crack down on fans who might boo or harass struggling outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

Soriano dropped a fly ball in the ninth inning Sunday in Pittsburgh, helping the Pirates rally to a victory. One season ticket holder told the Chicago Tribune that crowd control personnel told fans Monday they were instructed by supervisors to use a no-tolerance policy for anyone cursing at Soriano, or harassing him.