OREM — Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a garage fire Wednesday afternoon in Orem, saving most of the owner's belongings in the garage.

The fire was started by a propane torch with a push-button ignitor, Orem Fire Battalion Chief Layne Pace said. He said the torch was attached to a work bench next to the back wall of the garage, which was not attached to the owner's house.

Pace said the owner was in the garage and thought later that he must have bumped into the torch, causing the valve to open and the ignitor to start. The owner left the garage and returned later to find the flames.

The torch, which was facing the back wall of the garage, burned a hole through the wooden wall before destroying the entire wall. Pace estimated the damage at around $1,000.