South Africa: Violence subsides
JOHANNESBURG A wave of violence against immigrants that left 56 people dead and forced 30,000 from their homes has subsided, South Africa's safety and security minister said Monday.
Police reported isolated incidents of looting and shacks being set ablaze over the weekend, but Safety and Security Minister Charles Ngakula said that anti-immigrant attacks have slowed.
"The situation is under control," Ngakula told reporters.
Foreigners continued to journey home to neighboring countries on Monday, while thousands remained in makeshift camps after fleeing stick- and knife-wielding mobs of South Africans who accuse immigrants of taking jobs and blame them for crime.
Canada: Foreign minister quits
TORONTO Canada's embattled foreign minister resigned after leaving classified documents at a private residence, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced Monday, calling it "a serious error."
Harper said that he accepted the resignation of Maxime Bernier, who came under fire in recent weeks amid reports that a former girlfriend had previous relationships with Hells Angels motorcycle gang members.
"Mr. Bernier has learned and informed me that he left classified documents in a non-secure location. This is a serious error," Harper said.
Harper said that Bernier's controversial relationship with the woman was not a factor in the resignation.
But it was announced as Bernier's former girlfriend, Julie Couillard, was preparing to go on a French-language television station to say that Bernier had been careless with classified documents.
Italy: Mob raids net 49
ROME Police say they have arrested 49 suspected mobsters in raids on the Naples-based Camorra mob.
Police Col. Carmelo Burgio has told Sky TG24 TV that another 11 suspects are being sought on warrants in the countryside of Caserta, a town near Naples.
Investigators say many of the suspects have been using violence against Camorra turncoats as clans fight for power.
Japan: U.S. warship protests
TOKYO Japanese seeking to block a nuclear-powered U.S. warship from being permanently based in Japan took their lawsuit to a higher court Monday.
The latest move by the 248 plaintiffs follows the May 12 rejection by a district court of their lawsuit demanding a halt to harbor work to accommodate the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, which is scheduled to be based at Yokosuka, south of Tokyo, starting in August.
The carrier, which is relieving the retiring diesel-powered USS Kitty Hawk, will be the first U.S. Navy nuclear-powered vessel to be permanently based in Japan.
Myanmar: Cyclone desperation
YANGON U.N. officials expressed hope Monday they will soon be able to get help to more than 1 million cyclone survivors still waiting for food and shelter, if Myanmar's ruling junta keeps its promise to let foreign aid workers into the country.
More than three weeks after the storm, people huddled along roadsides, desperate for any sort of handout. The U.N. estimated less than half the 2.4 million people victimized by the May 2-3 storm had received emergency assistance.
In Pyapon, a coastal township southwest of Yangon, hundreds of makeshift huts had been thrown up along a road. Women and children squatted outside, the children begging for food, their arms outstretched as vehicles passed.