A West Jordan home sustained about $60,000 in damage from a fire authorities believe started in a chimney and spread to an attic area.

West Jordan Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Larsen said crews responded to a call shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday after neighbors spotted excessive smoke coming from the chimney of the home, located at 6745 S. 1645 West.

Eight residents of the multilevel house were home at the time but safely exited before fire crews arrived. Larsen said firefighters quickly contained the blaze and were mopping up the incident by 11:30 p.m.