A West Jordan home sustained about $60,000 in damage from a fire authorities believe started in a chimney and spread to an attic area.

West Jordan Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Larsen said crews responded to a call shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday after neighbors spotted excessive smoke coming from the chimney of the home, located at 6745 S. 1645 West.

Eight residents of the multi-level house were home at the time, but safely exited before fire crews arrived. Larsen said firefighters quickly contained the blaze and were mopping up the incident by 11:30 p.m.