CEDAR CITY The Dixie National Forest has released a draft environmental impact statement for its Motorized Travel Plan. The plan will close cross country access through the forest and will instead provide designated routes.
The DEIS compares the impact on the environment for five alternative routes, with Alternative D being preferred by forest planners.
Open house/public hearings will be held at the following locations:
• May 27, Interagency Visitor's Center, 755 W. Main, Escalante.
• May 28, Triple C Arena, Highway 89, Panguitch.
• May 29, Wayne County Community Center, 475 S. 300 East, Bicknell.
• June 3, Library in the Park, 303 N. 100 East, Cedar City.
• June 25, Ramada Inn, 1440 E. St. George Blvd., St. George.
• June 26, Salt Lake City Hilton, 255 S. West Temple, Salt Lake City.
Each meeting will be from 6-8 p.m., with the first 30 minutes of each being a presentation. The plan and DEIS are available at www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/projects/MTP.
There is also a 45-day period for written comments, which can be e-mailed to email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com or mailed to Motorized Travel Plan, 1789 N. Wedgewood Lane, Cedar City, UT 84720 or faxed to 435-865-3791 with Motorized Travel Plan in subject line.
For information, call 435-865-3730.