Michael Doyel's behavior has been strange since his arrest in April in connection with the disappearance of Deborah Jones.

But new charges filed in 3rd District Court Monday paint a picture not of a man with mental competency issues but rather one who executed a very thought-out and calculated murder.

Doyel, 47, was charged with murder, a first-degree felony, obstruction of justice and theft, both second-degree felonies.

He has already been indicted in federal court with abducting Jones and charged in state court with kidnapping another woman, Patricia Miller. Monday's charges were the first filed in relation to Jones' death.

Jones was strangled at 4115 S. Redwood Road, according to court documents, and suffered blunt force trauma to the back of her head. A restaurant, La Jaliciense, is located at that address. A medical examiner's report estimated the death happened sometime between April 18 and April 19.

After the slaying, Doyel took the body to another location "where no one would be," according to court documents. He purchased a plastic storage container afterward, tried to hide the body with a tarp and clothing and then tried to mask the smell, court documents state.

Doyel then used Jones' cell phone to text her family and friends that she was OK, prosecutors say.

"The defendant pretended to be Deborah in the messages and he assured the recipients that Deborah was alive and well," according to court documents. "The defendant made a conscious decision to keep Deborah's murder a secret from both her family and the police."

Doyel allegedly drove Jones' body to Las Vegas before heading the other direction and being caught in Missouri. He also lied to Murray, who was accompanying him on the trip, about why he was going to Missouri, court documents state.

The scheming outlined in court documents paints a far different picture from the man who called out to Jones during his first court appearance in Missouri and proclaimed his love for her. During a second court appearance in federal court in Salt Lake City, Doyel continuously looked around the room and told the judge that Jones was still alive and would be there any minute.

Bail for Doyel was set at $2 million.

When Doyel first met Jones, he used a false name, according to court documents. He moved in with her at her Sugar House home on Oct. 3, 2007, and moved out six months later on April 5, following a series of arguments.

After the two broke up, Doyel continually harassed her by calling her, sending plumbers and contractors to her house for fake repair calls and posting demeaning information about Jones on the Internet, according to court records. Doyel also harassed co-workers of Jones, who was a nurse, and patients, court documents state.

On April 16, Jones met with Salt Lake police to talk about money she believed Doyel had stolen from her account. She was also interested in getting a protective order against Doyel. Jones was "angry" at Doyel but also "scared" of him, according to court documents. She was scheduled to meet again the next day with police but never showed up.

Instead, surveillance video shows Jones leaving Perkins restaurant, 230 N. Admiral Byrd Road (5480 West), with Doyel. During that dinner, Doyel was "leery that (Jones) was trying to set him up with the police," court documents state. The two were at dinner together for more than two hours, according to court documents.

On April 18, Alisa Wolcott, a friend of Jones, talked to her on the phone just after 1:30 p.m. She said Jones sounded "anxious" and "hurried." It was the last time any of Jones' friends or family talked to her.

At 5:50 p.m. that same day, Doyel purchased a 50-gallon plastic storage container from Lowe's. He bought a tarp, bungee cords and deodorant from a Wal-Mart just before 4 p.m. on April 19.

On the night of April 18, Doyel picked up Murray, who noticed an empty plastic storage container in the back of Doyel's car, according to court documents. He dropped Murray off at a restaurant and didn't return until several hours later. When he picked her up, "the storage container had obviously been filled with something," court documents state.

The next morning, Doyel again dropped Murray off at the same restaurant for several hours. When he returned to get her, they drove to Las Vegas. Murray, who was residing at an assisted living facility in Utah, was not given permission to travel anywhere with Doyel.

Doyel and Murray were found at a motel near Branson, Mo., on April 21. Jones' body, bound at the hands and feet with bungee cords, was found in the plastic container in the car.

E-mail: [email protected]