Sixteen new patents were awarded to Utah inventors on April 22:
• Cleaning apparatus with reciprocating brush head. Aaron D. Cobabe, Syracuse; David O. Meyers, Kaysville; Darrell E. Goff, Highland; W. Kenneth Thiess, Parker, Colo.; Qi-Chun Jackson Zhao, Shan Wei, China. Assigned to SonicScrubbers LLC, Layton. Filed Dec. 15, 2004, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/534,010, filed Jan. 2, 2004. Patent No. 7,360,269.
• Raised access floor. Peter J. Spransy, Ronald H. Bushman, both of Salt Lake City; Don A. Kugath, Draper. Assigned to Daw Technologies Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed May 7, 2003, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/378,613, filed May 7, 2002. Patent No. 7,360,343.
• Drill-bit assembly for directional drilling. David R. Hall, Francis E. Leany, Scott Dahlgren, David Lundgreen, Daryl N. Wise, all of Provo. Filed Jan. 18, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,360,610.
• Method and system for proffering multiple biometrics for use with a FOB. Peter D. Saunders, William J. Gray, both of Salt Lake City; Blayn W. Beenau, Peoria, Ariz.; David S. Bonalle, New Rochelle, N.Y.; Seth W. Fields, Taylorsville; Carl Larkin, West Sussex, Great Britain; Joshua L. Montgomery, Orem. Assigned to American Express Travel Related Services Co. Inc., New York. Filed Mar. 26, 2004, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications.
• Interior space expansion system. Melvin Price, Bradley M. Price, both of Heber City; Leo L. Castagno, Rexburg, Idaho; James L. Spillman, Draper; Robert L. Bonner, Wittman, Ariz. Filed Dec. 2, 2005. Patent No. 7,360,814. Patent No. 7,360,689.
• Device and method for wound therapy (having an air-tight sub-atmospheric environment sealed about the wound). Ashok V. Joshi, Salt Lake City. Filed Sept. 8, 2003. Patent No. 7,361,184.
• Apparatus and method for dynamic vertebral stabilization. T. Wade Fallin, Hyde Park; Daniel E. Gerbec, Logan; Joel Dever, Millville. Assigned to Stryker Spine FR. Filed March 22, 2005, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/655,298, filed Feb. 22, 2005. Patent No. 7,361,196.
• Yeast cells expressing modified G proteins and methods of use. John P. Manfredi, Christine A. Klein, both of Salt Lake City; Dana M. Fowlkes, Chapel Hill, N.C.; James R. Broach, Princeton, N.J.; Jeremy I. Paul, Nyack, N.Y.; Joshua Trueheart, Concord, Mass.; Andrew J. M. Murphy, Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y. Assigned to Cadus Technologies Inc., New York. Filed Oct. 15, 2004, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,361,498.
• Button assembly with status indicator and programmable backlighting. Paul T. Clegg, Douglas E. Allen, both of Lindon; Wallace E. Day, Payson. Assigned to Vantage Controls Inc., Orem. Filed April 11, 2007, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,361,853.
• Low-impact switch apparatus. Ladd Anderson, Salt Lake City. Filed Sept. 1, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,361,856.
• Integrated circuit fuses having corresponding storage circuitry. Qadeer A. Qureshi, William C. Moyer, both of Dripping Springs, Texas; Ryan D. Bedwell, Provo; John J. Vaglica, Austin, Texas. Assigned to Freescale Semiconductor Inc., Austin, Texas. Filed Sept. 30, 2004. Patent No. 7,362,645.
• Mobile unit configuration management for WLANS. Robert Whelan, Kirkland, Wash.; Lamar van Wagenen, Sandy; Roy Morris, Bothell, Wash. Assigned to Wavelink Corp., Kirkland, Wash. Filed Sept. 23, 2002, a continuation-in-part of Application No. 10/215,701, filed Aug. 9, 2002. Patent No. 7,363,022.
• Product storage and picking system and method of storing and picking products. Criston S. Stevens, Layton. Assigned to SK Daifuku Corp., Salt Lake City. Filed Aug. 15, 2003. Patent No. 7,363,104.
• Techniques for serializing events. Stephen Hugh Kinser, Stephen R. Carter, both of Spanish Fork; Lloyd Leon Burch, Payson. Assigned to Novell Inc., Provo. Filed May 18, 2004. Patent No. 7,363,577.
• Mapping process for use in sending trick-mode video streams with a high performance. Jahan Shah Fakharzadeh, Park City. Assigned to Unisys Corp., Blue Bell, Pa. Filed May 7, 2002. Patent No. 7,363,647.• Eyewear retainer. Lee Scott, Meridian, Idaho; John Bishop, Sandy; Beirne Chisolm, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Chums Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed May 24, 2007. Design Patent No. D567,279.
Karl R. Cannon is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail email@example.com. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com