A former Utah State University quarterback was sentenced to prison Monday for aggravated assault and sexual battery involving an incident with a USU coed in 2006.

Jerod Dwayne Walker, 21, was sentenced to zero-to-five years in prison for third-degree felony aggravated assault and one year in jail for class A misdemeanor sexual battery. The sentences will run concurrently.

In Logan, 1st District Judge Clint Judkins also ordered that Walker pay for any additional counseling the victim might need.

The charges were part of a plea agreement that, among other things, dismissed a separate misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

Walker originally had been charged with first-degree felony aggravated sexual assault regarding actions that occurred April 9, 2006 with a 20-year-old female university student who had accompanied Walker to his apartment.

The woman told her roommate early the next morning that she had been raped and the police were notified soon after that.

"We proceeded very carefully on this because we know there would be a lot of media attention because it's an athlete, but we also owed it to the victim to proceed as quickly as possible," USU Police Lt. Steve Milne told the Deseret News in 2006 after Walker turned himself in, was arrested and booked into the Cache County Jail.

Walker was immediately suspended from the team. While out on bail on the rape charge, Walker was arrested again for possessing marijuana, and USU football coach Brent Guy dismissed him from the team.

During the lengthy court process, the judge at one point ordered Walker to undergo a 90-day evaluation at the Utah State Prison.

Walker was recruited by USU after showing considerable athletic skill as a record-setting high school player at Jersey Village High School in Houston, Texas.

At USU, Walker led the team to a 24-21 win over New Mexico State in the 2005 season finale, and during that game, he completed 14 of 20 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 102 yards.

E-mail: [email protected]