Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Springville's Bryson Pope heads the ball in the Red Devils' 4-2 victory over Pine View in Friday's 4A state soccer quarterfinal match.

SPRINGVILLE — The Springville High boys soccer team wasn't really two goals better than Pine View on Friday. But it was still good enough to advance to the 4A state semifinals with a 4-2 win.

Springville played well, but Pine View walked away ruing missed chances that could have changed the outcome.

The Panthers had one sure goal cleared off the line, missed an opportunity to score in an empty net and had a penalty kick saved — three golden scoring opportunities they desperately needed to offset the goals they gave up.

"They had some really good chances," said Springville coach Rick Bertelsen. "The misses, those were big. But that happens. We had misses. Everyone has misses."

The Red Devils were more than content to take the result they got, especially after they did enough on their own to score four times. In the end, their size and strength was too much for Pine View to handle.

"All credit to Springville," said Panthers coach Sam Johnston. "We gave ourselves a chance, and unfortunately we just came up short."

Springville took the early lead when Joe Shinners headed in Phil Dangerfield's cross in the 20th minute. Two minutes later, Pine View drew level on a header by Trey Ping.

The Red Devils went back ahead in the 33rd minute. This time Shinners' long throw-in bounced high and was headed in at the far post by Dangerfield.

Just before halftime, the Panthers thought they had a goal when Riley Dias sent a shot bouncing past the Springville goalkeeper, but defender Cameron Homer scrambled back and cleared the ball off the line.

Cameron Moss' goal in the 47th minute put Springville up 3-1, but Pine View climbed back 11 minutes later when Chris Fernandez volleyed the ball over his own head and the outstretched hand of goalkeeper Brandon Allen.

Springville made it 4-2 on Josh Reidhead's header in the 68th minute.

Still fighting, Pine View then came up empty on two chances in the space of two minutes. In the 73rd, Dias beat the charging goalkeeper and had an empty net in front of him, but he missed his touch and the ball rolled out for a goal kick.

In the 75th minute, the Panthers were awarded a penalty kick, but Allen guessed the right direction and saved Jordan Wade's shot.

"I picked my spot and just went," said Allen. "Fortunately they went that way."

Springville's semifinal game against Bountiful will be at 2 p.m. next Tuesday at Woods Cross High School.