True or false? If you answer true to more than three questions, you might benefit from credit counseling.
1. I normally pay the minimum on my credit-card bills.
2. My credit-card balances increase each month.
3. There are arguments in my home about money.
4. I sometimes hide purchases from my spouse.
5. I frequently charge items that I used to pay for with cash.
6. I have thought about filing for bankruptcy.
7. I have begun using cash advances to meet my obligations.
8. Most of my credit cards are near the limit, so I've begun applying for new lines of credit.
9. I do not know the total amount that I owe.
10. I skip paying my bills some months, or pay late.
11. I have depleted my savings.
12. I am consumed with thoughts of my debt.
13. My debt interferes with my job and/or home life.
14. Collectors have begun contacting me.
15. I have taken money from my retirement account to satisfy debt obligations.
16. If I lost my job, it would mean an immediate financial crisis in my life.
17. I use balance transfers.
18. I have no emergency savings account.
19. Next month's bills arrive before I've paid this month's.
20. I do not open my bills when they arrive, or soon after.
Source: National Foundation for Credit Counseling (nfcc.org)