Phone and e-mail scams:
• Don't invest with a stranger over the phone or the Internet.
• Ask if you can cancel or return your purchase after you order.
• Ask for the solicitor's name, address and phone number, and verify the information through the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at www.dcp.utah.gov or 1-800-721-SAFE.
• Get the solicitor to repeat any information that you're confused about.
• Get everything in writing before sending money.
Giving to charities:
• Verify that the charity is registered with the Utah Division of Consumer Protection.
• Make sure you're comfortable with the percentage of funds going to the charity in comparison with its administrative costs.
• Know that most legitimate charities have local programs and offices.
• Never respond to an emotional plea. Ask for printed material before donating.
• Always pay by check, and never give credit-card or bank information.
Source: Utah Division of Consumer Protection