A store security guard broke out a window to pull an unattended child out of a hot car Sunday afternoon in Salt Lake City.
The 2-year-old boy was left alone inside a car in the parking lot of Sears, 800 S. State, around 4 p.m., said Salt Lake police Lt. Gary Young.
"Even though it was overcast, he could feel the heat coming from the window," Young said. "The child was sweating profusely. He broke the window to get the child out of the vehicle."
The child was dehydrated and suffering from heat exposure, Young said. The boy was taken to a hospital as a precaution, but officials said he would be fine.
The district attorney will screen the case to determine if charges against the child's parents, who were shopping inside the store, are warranted, Young said. It was unclear how long the child had been left alone.
In April, 18-month-old Myles Gailey of Kearns died of hyperthermia after being left inside a hot car for several hours.