1 of 8
Ahmed Hassan, Associated Press
An Egyptian policeman helps an injured football fan during clashes at the football stadium in Port Said, Egypt Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dozens of Egyptian soccer fans were killed Wednesday in violence following a soccer match in Port Said, when fans flooded the field seconds after a match against a rival team was over, Egypt's Health ministry said.

FRANCEVILLE, Gabon — Ghana and Mali were the last teams to qualify for the African Cup of Nations quarterfinals, but the tournament was overshadowed by violence at a club game in Egypt that left at least 74 people dead on what FIFA President Sepp Blatter called "a black day for football."

Clashes between fans of clubs Al-Ahly and Al-Masry on Wednesday resulted in the sport's worst violence since at least 78 people were killed during a stampede at a 1996 World Cup qualifier between Guatemala and Costa Rica in Guatemala City.

The Confederation of African Football, which organizes the African Cup, said a minute's silence would be held before all quarterfinals this weekend as a mark of respect for the dead. About 1,000 people were injured.

In Gabon, Ghana drew 1-1 with Guinea to win Group D and set up a quarterfinal against Tunisia on Sunday. While Mali came from behind to beat Botswana 2-1 and advance in second spot to meet co-host Gabon, also on Sunday.

Zambia plays Sudan and tournament favorite Ivory Coast goes up against co-host Equatorial Guinea in Saturday's quarterfinals.

But Africa's showpiece event is bound to take on a more somber mood after the incidents in Egypt's Mediterranean city of Port Said, where hundreds of fans clashed on the field and players and team officials were also in danger from the chaotic violence.

"This is a black day for football. Such a catastrophic situation is unimaginable and should not happen," Blatter said in a statement.

CAF President Issa Hayatou said: "African football is in a state of mourning."

At the African Cup, Ghana settled for a draw at a near-empty Stade de Franceville against a Guinea team desperate to continue at the tournament.

Ghana went ahead with a high-quality goal from Emmanuel Agyemang Badu in the 28th minute, the forward volleying into the top left corner from outside the penalty area to put the title contender in charge.

Guinea equalized through Abdoul Razzagui Camara's lofted cross which sailed over goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey and into the far corner. The Guineans then piled forward in search of the victory that would revive their hopes of making the last eight, but they had Mamadou Dioulde Bah sent off with 20 minutes to go and their challenge faded.

In Libreville, goals from Garra Dembele and Barcelona's Seydou Keita completed Mali's fightback, leaving the Malians to watch a giant TV screen after fulltime at Stade de l'Amitie to see if the result in Franceville would send them through.

Even with five minutes of stoppage time left, the Guineans couldn't overcome their one-man deficit with a winning goal that would have left all three teams on six points — and the last two quarterfinal places to be decided by number of goals scored.

Ghana went through, even if the four-time champion wasn't overly impressive.

"It was just important that we qualified for the next stage. At the end of the day, the most important thing is making sure you qualify," assistant coach Kwesi Appiah said.

Guinea coach Michel Dussuyer praised his team for its spirited performance but criticized the refereeing of South African Daniel Bennett.

"Fouls, fouls, fouls against us," Dussuyer said. "We all know that Ghana is a great team but it didn't need the help of the referee."

The African Cup has two days off before Saturday's first two quarterfinals, and the time will likely be spent reflecting on Egypt's worst case of football violence and one of African football's lowest moments.