1 of 30
Tom Smart, Deseret News
as Brigham Young University and Saint Mary's play men's basketball Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012, in Provo, Utah.

PROVO — Saint Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova scored just 10 points on 1-of-4 shooting from the floor.

In fact, he was held scoreless in the first half.

But Dellavedova played a huge role in the Gaels' impressive 80-66 win over BYU Saturday at the Marriott Center.

Cougar coach Dave Rose was also impressed with Dellavedova's performance.

"He is a terrific player. He understands this game as well as any point guard that probably we've ever played against," he said. "He knows how to get all of his teammates involved. He can make big plays with the ball, he can make big plays without the ball. He's a really good player. He can help his team win scoring and he can help his team without scoring. The bottom line is, a point guard is judged by wins and losses and this kid's a winner."

Dellavedova, who hails from Australia, had seven rebounds, four assists and six turnovers against BYU.

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING: There were three technical fouls called on Saturday, including one on the crowd.

Officials warned the fans about throwing debris on the court in the first half after a fan threw an object onto the floor. But it happened again early in the second half. Two technical free throws and a 3-pointer gave Saint Mary's five unanswered points.

When asked about the technical called on the fans, Rose said, "I think they were really engaged in the game. I was really pleased with the energy that was in the building. There were a couple of fans that reacted negatively. We wouldn't want that to happen. But they were probably disappointed in a lot of things, too."

The Gaels were unfazed by BYU's rowdy crowd.

"It's a loud arena. It was a pretty crazy environment," said Saint Mary's forward Brad Waldow. "But we've played in hostile environments like that. It still a five-on-five game … We have the composure to play in big games like this."

In the closing moments of the game, frustrated fans chanted, "Worst fans ever!"

Some fans threw debris onto the floor after the final horn.

NOTES: Forward Stephen Rogers played for the first time since Jan. 16. He played only three minutes and missed his only shot … Saint Mary's has now won 11 consecutive games.