1 of 2
The Tuscaloosa News, Michelle Lepianka Carter, Associated Press
Alabama guard Trevor Lacey (3) takes a shot over Vanderbilt forward Steve Tchiengang (33) and Vanderbilt guard Jeffery Taylor (44) during an NCAA college basketball game against Vanderbilt in Tuscaloosa, Ala., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — John Jenkins had 20 points and Jeffery Taylor scored 17 to help resurgent Vanderbilt beat Alabama 69-59 Thursday night for its eighth straight win.

The Commodores (14-4, 4-0 Southeastern Conference) turned a six-point deficit into a 23-point lead before giving back some of the cushion when the Crimson Tide (13-5, 2-2) finally started hitting shots.

Vanderbilt limited Alabama to 23-of-70 shooting (a season-low 32.9 percent) and held leading scorer Tony Mitchell without a point.

Jenkins made 4 of 7 3-pointers and also had seven rebounds. Taylor scored 13 in the second half.

Festus Ezeli added 12 points and 10 rebounds for the Commodores, who got 11 points from Lance Goulbourne.

Trevor Releford led Alabama, which had won 10 straight SEC home games, with 14 points and freshman Levi Randolph had 13. JaMychal Green managed just six points and eight rebounds before fouling out in the final seconds.

Mitchell, who came in averaging 14.5 points, missed all eight field goal attempts.

Releford made his final five shots after a 1-for-11 start and also had six steals. Trevor Lacey added 10 for the Tide.

Vandy has had only one single-digit victory in a streak that started after falling to 6-4 with a loss to Indiana State. That dropped the preseason No. 7 team from the rankings.

The Tide's biggest explosion came after coach Anthony Grant had to be restrained following a technical after Alabama briefly cut the deficit to 10 points.

He continued jawing at the officials, but Jenkins buried two free throws and then made a 3-pointer.

Vanderbilt made 21 of 29 free throw attempts while Alabama attempted 10, making seven.

The Commodores trailed by six in the first half before exploding. They started a 30-7 run that extended well into the second half, and Alabama never collected itself.

The Tide missed its final eight shots before halftime.

Taylor made back-to-back 3-pointers and two free throws on consecutive possessions and Vandy surged to a 41-24 lead with 15:58 left.

It ballooned to 58-35 on Jenkins' 3-pointer, though Alabama managed to pull closer with a late flurry.

The Commodores dominated from the perimeter with an 8-for-18 performance in 3-pointers, and also inside. They outrebounded Alabama 48-35, and Tide big men Green and Nick Jacobs both spent time on the bench with injuries.

Jacobs, who sustained a right leg injury, played only 8 minutes.

The Tide were coming off a season-low 52 points in a loss at Mississippi State. Alabama shot just 26.5 percent (9 of 34) in the first half.

Tide guard Andrew Steele left in the first half and didn't return. There was no immediate word on his status, but Steele was medically cleared to play on Jan. 2 after initially leaving the team with lingering symptoms resulting from concussions.

Steele watched the end of the game in sweats.