Liz Martin, Deseret Morning News
Utah Grizzlies celebrate a goal against the Idaho Steelheads.

WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center before 5,347 fans.

The Utah Grizzlies went shorthanded 15 times, the second most in team history, but lived to tell about it as they went 13 for 15 on the penalty kill and 2-5 on their power-play situations to beat the Idaho Steelheads 4-2 on Saturday. Utah went shorthanded six times in the first, four in the second and five times in the third period. However, the Grizzlies penalty-kill improved to 45 for their last 49 in the process on their way to two points against their closest regional rival, who they now trail by one point in the Mountain Division standings.

Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped a season-high 44 of 46 in the game, including 28 of Idaho's 30 power-play shots.

"Our goal was to come out and play with passion, simplify our game," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Our penalty-kill was outstanding, we worked hard, got the pucks 200 (feet) and got in shot lanes." After falling behind 1-0 4:50 into the first period on an Idaho five-on-three power-play goal, Utah came back with two-straight to take a 2-1 first intermission lead. First, Logan MacMillan redirected home a Nick Tuzzolino shot on the power-play at 7:14 of the period to tie the game.

Mitch Fadden picked up the first of three-straight assists on three Utah goals.

Riley Emmerson then knocked home a Fadden shot in transition as he crashed the net for his second goal of the year. Matt Sorteberg also picked up an assist. "I'm just trying to shoot, trying to get back on the scoreboard with my goals, they've been hard to come by lately, so just trying to shoot everything, trying to go to the net," said Grizzlies leading scorer Mitch Fadden.

Idaho tied the game at two on a power-play goal early in the second and that score would hold until the third.

Paul McIlveen's team leading 15th goal of the year proved to be the game-winner 5:27 into the third period on the power-play as he slammed in a rebound on a Tuzzolino shot as the Grizzlies captain recorded his second power-play assist of the night.

Tyler Kindle then knocked in a C.J. Severyn shot just 2:20 later at 7:47 to give Utah a 4-2 lead. McIlveen added another assist on the play.

The homestretch wouldn't get any easier for Utah who killed 5:46-straight late in the period and also the final 50 seconds.

The Grizzlies are home Monday to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m. for Family Night.

Kids under 12 will be admitted free and there will be $1 Food Specials all night long.