LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Daniel Mullings scored 17 points, and New Mexico State rode a big second half to an 80-60 victory over Utah State on Thursday.

Wendell McKines added 13 points and 11 rebounds for NMSU (12-5, 2-0 Western Athletic). Hamidu Rahman scored 11 points, and Tshilidzi Nephawe had 12.

Kyisean Reed led Utah State (9-8, 1-2) with 18 points, and Brockeith Pane scored 16.

The teams were tied 34-34 at halftime, but a 26-6 run over nine minutes of the second half put New Mexico State up by 18, 70-52, with 4:07 to play. Utah State made just two field goals in that span.

NMSU outscored Utah State 52-14 in the paint and scored 18 second-chance points. The hosts shot 60 percent from the floor in the second half to finish at 49 percent (30 of 61) for the game.

Utah State still leads the all-time series against its fellow Aggies, 35-28.

SUU 72, IUPUI 64: At Indianapolis, Ray Jones Jr. had 21 points, seven rebounds and seven assists to lead Southern Utah to a 72-64 victory against IUPUI on Thursday night.

Ramell Taylor and Jackson Stevenett scored 19 points apiece for the Thunderbirds (8-9, 3-4 Summit League), who shot 59.6 percent (28 of 47) from the floor en route to snapping a three-game losing streak.

Ian Chiles had 14 points and Stephen Thomas, Alex Young and Christian Siakam 10 each for the Jaguars (8-11, 2-5). Young scored his 2,000th career point, becoming the third player at the school and 11th in Summit League history to reach that total.

IUPUI led for only an eight-second stretch in the second half as Southern Utah kept a small but steady cushion for most of the game.

The Jaguars got within 61-58, but two Jones free throws and a Stevenett layup gave the Thunderbirds a seven-point advantage with 2:04 remaining. The margin got no fewer than five points afterward as Southern Utah protected its lead at the foul line.

WESTMINSTER 75, CARROLL 54: At Salt Lake City, the Griffins avoided its first 0-3 start in conference play since the program was reinstated in 1999, snapping a three-game losing streak.

The Griffins (13-6, 1-2) ran out to a 20-11 lead over the first 11 minutes of the game. They would eventually build the lead to 14 with 3:50 to play in the first half before Carroll (8-6, 1-1) finished the stanza with a 10-4 run to head to intermission with the Griffins leading 39-31. Westminster started the second half with a 20-5 run and led 59-36 with 12:29 remaining in the ballgame.

Jake Orchard shouldered much of the scoring load in the game. The Frontier Conference's second leading scorer finished with 20 points on a 7-of-11 shooting night.