ST. GEORGE — Firefighters spent an hour trying unsuccessfully to revive a southern Utah man who was electrocuted while using a hoist to trim trees.

The Spectrum of St. George reports that 56-year-old James Bradley Meinert apparently hit a 39,000-volt power line.

Authorities say Meinert was working as high as 25 feet trimming trees on private property Friday when he was electrocuted.

Fire official Steve Haluska says rescuers couldn't revive Meinert after an hour trying to resuscitate him.

Haluska says firefighters had to work around power wires they thought were still hot to bring Meinert down from his basket.

Haluska is chairman of the Northwestern Special Service District, which administers the Brookside and Veyo fire departments.

— Associated Press