1 of 3
Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press
Crime scene tape secures the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel, in Fort Montgomery, N.Y., where a New Jersey man wanted for questioning in the murder of his ex-wife apparently committed suicide Friday, Dec.16, 2011. State police in New York's lower Hudson Valley were told by the Middlesex County, N.J., prosecutor that Anthony Trapp was in the area with his children and they searched several local motels before finding his vehicle parked at the motel in the Hudson River hamlet, 45 miles north of New York City. The children were found safe, authorities said.

OLD BRIDGE, N.J. — A New Jersey man sought in the slaying of his ex-wife fled with their two young daughters and hid out at a quaint upstate New York motel while police in the two states launched a desperate search, which ended Friday when he was found dead inside his room from an apparent suicide.

Anthony Trapp's daughters were unharmed when they were coaxed out of the open door of their father's room around 7:30 a.m. Friday by some of the dozens of New York state troopers who had surrounded the five-room motel 45 miles north of New York City.

Police believe Trapp had already killed himself when the older girl, who's 5, opened the door, state police Maj. Ed Raso said.

"We were able to motion to her, and she came out," followed moments later by her 20-month-old sibling, he said.

Members of the state police special operations team scooped them up, wrapped them in blankets and carried them to safety.

Police then spent more than an hour trying to communicate with Trapp by phone and bullhorn. At 8:40, troopers entered the room and found Trapp, 39, dead on a bed, Capt. Joseph Tripodo said.

Authorities said he apparently killed himself, although details weren't released. His body was removed from the motel Friday afternoon. An autopsy was planned for later Friday.

Area resident Sue Castelluccio was on her way home from her transportation job at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and was not allowed to go up her street. She could hear police trying to contact Trapp by bullhorn.

"Anthony, come out," she remembered police saying. "Anthony, answer your cellphone. You did the right thing by letting the children go."

The discovery of Trapp's body ended a 12-hour ordeal that began when police in Old Bridge, N.J., alerted by relatives concerned about the safety of his ex-wife, 37-year-old Heather Trapp, found her body inside his tidy suburban home.

Middlesex County, N.J., prosecutors said Heather Trapp had gone to the home to pick up her daughters late Thursday afternoon after the girls had visited with their father. Police found her body around 8 p.m.; they have not said how she was killed.

Amber Alerts notifying the public that two children had been abducted were issued in New Jersey and New York. They were canceled when the girls were found safe.

New York State Police were alerted by New Jersey authorities that Anthony Trapp was in the lower Hudson Valley with his children and they searched several local motels before finding his vehicle parked at the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel in the Hudson River hamlet of Fort Montgomery, just south of West Point. Trapp had apparently ditched the New Jersey license plates and the Nissan Rogue carried New York tags when police found it.

About 40 troopers had surrounded the motel before sunrise. Police say 5-year-old Emma, opened the door to room No. 3 and walked toward anxious troopers, with her younger sister Sophia following.

The girls were taken to St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital in nearby Newburgh. Officials said they were unharmed. Relatives of the girls' mother were en route to the hospital.

Motel owners Douglas and Ingrid Johnson said everything appeared normal when Anthony Trapp checked in around 7:30 p.m. Thursday night, paying $85 up front for the room with a double bed and two twin beds.

"There was no indication there was any problem," Johnson said. "He seemed calm, there was nothing there that seemed abnormal."

The couple married in October 2004 in Livingston, N.J., at a ceremony overseen by a rabbi and a Catholic priest. After honeymooning in Hawaii, they settled in Old Bridge, in a tidy, brown-shingled single-family home on a quiet cul-de-sac.

Heather Trapp, formerly Heather Newman, was originally from Staten Island, where she graduated from Port Richmond High School before receiving an associate degree in dental hygiene from New York City Technical College and then working as a dental hygienist at a Manhattan practice.

Anthony Trapp went to high school in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn College with a degree in finance. He worked with Jemmco Capital in Manhattan before joining the New York office of the French financial services company Societe Generale.

Trapp filed suit against the company, where he worked as a senior auditor from 2006 to 2009, claiming he was unlawfully terminated and discriminated against because of an ongoing disability, according to court papers.

Trapp claimed in the suit he had been diagnosed in 2008 with a genetic disorder he identified as Marfan syndrome, describing it as a genetic disorder affecting connective tissues that forced him to undergo open-heart surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm.

Returning to work following the surgery, Trapp claimed in his suit that supervisors and colleagues began a continuous campaign of insulting, harassing and giving him unwarranted negative performance reviews. He said his complaints of harassment to supervisors went unheeded — describing in court papers how co-workers would taunt him with insults like 'you cry more than your daughter' and 'stop being a baby' or teasing him about working a half-day when he left early for medical reasons.

The situation culminated with him being terminated in December 2009, after Trapp alleged a company attorney confronted him and claimed that Marfan syndrome was "not a real disorder" and that none of Trapp's allegations of harassment was substantiated, according to court papers.

The company denied Traps allegations.

The suit claimed Trapp was shocked and devastated by his treatment, had suffered loss of self-confidence and self-esteem and was forced to see a therapist for depression and severe emotional distress. He said his wife had filed for divorce due to the economic harm inflicted on the family by his job loss.

Old Bridge Township resident Anthony Dalasi was close friends with the Traps, and said he and his wife are devastated by their neighbors' deaths.

"She was one of the best people we ever met. She would do anything for her children," Dalasi said. "Even while they had their problems, her children were her main priority."

He said Anthony Trapp had been unemployed, and Heather Trapp still worked as a dental hygienist in New York City.

Samantha Henry reported from Old Bridge, N.J. Associated Press writers Wayne Parry in Trenton, N.J., Chris Carola in Albany, and researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York contributed to this story.