1 of 51
Associated Press
BYU kicker Riley Stephenson (99) tries to kick the ball after missing the snap as TCU's Josh Boyce (82) and Jonathan Anderson (41) close in during the first half of an NCAA college football game at Cowboys Stadium Friday, Oct. 28, 2011, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

ARLINGTON, Texas — Although BYU proved to be much more competitive this time around, the result was the same as it fell 38-28, which was its fourth straight loss to the Horned Frogs.

Mental errors culminating in costly penalties and untimely turnovers ruined what was overall an untypically good and competitive effort by BYU in matching up with TCU. The Horned Frogs took advantage of almost every opportunity handed to them, coming away with the win.

Things started off badly for the Cougars. In fact, it's hard to imagine them starting much worse as three costly mistakes saw TCU go up 14-0 with a full 10:06 left in the first quarter.

The first mistake came with a Brandon Ogletree personal foul on the first play of scrimmage, which set up the second mistake on a coverage error that left Skye Dawson wide open on the receiving end of a Casey Pachall 48-yard touchdown pass.

On the next possession, long-snapper Reed Hornung short-hopped the ball to punter Riley Stephenson, which set up TCU first and goal from the Cougar four-yard line. Following a two-yard loss, backup QB Matt Brown ran it in from six yards out and just like that, TCU was up 14-0 with just under five minutes gone in the game.

Just when it looked to be another TCU blowout, BYU came storming back with two scores of its own. The first score came on a 44-yard field goal by Justin Sorensen, capping off a seven-play 44-yard drive to cut the lead to 14-3 with 7:14 left in the first quarter.

BYU then seized a lot of momentum with a nine-play drive covering 76 yards. Quarterback Riley Nelson capped off the drive, throwing a 21-yard touchdown pass to Michael Alisa with 2:28 remaining in the first quarter.

Following the score, TCU snatched back the momentum to outscore BYU 14-0 in the second quarter and go up 28-10 at the half.

The second half started off much like the first with TCU benefitting from another botched long-snap, recovering the ball at the BYU 38-yard line. Waymon James capped off a four-play drive with a four-yard touchdown run to put the Horned Frogs up 35-10 with 8:36 remaining in the third quarter.

BYU wouldn't go away, however, with the two next scores. The first one came on a 44-yard field goal by Sorenson, which was followed by a 67-yard punt return for a touchdown by JD Falslev, which cut the lead to 35-20 with 2:20 remaining in the third quarter.

After that the mistakes kept coming for the Cougars. Personal fouls and untimely turnovers deep inside TCU territory ultimately did them in, falling by a final score of 38-28

BYU "was competitive in" the total yardage battle, gaining 354 yards. The Horned Frogs won the crucial turnover battle, however with BYU turning it over three times to zero for TCU.

The Cougars fall to 6-3 with the loss and will head into a bye week before taking on Idaho on Nov. 12.

Email: bgurney@desnews.com

Twitter: @BrandonCGurney