1 of 2
Carlos Osorio, Associated Press
Detroit Lions assistant director of pro personnel Charlie Sanders, right, hugs former Detroit running back Barry Sanders before the Lions' NFL football game against the Chicago Bears in Detroit, Monday, Oct. 10, 2011.

DETROIT — Ndamukong Suh wrapped up Chicago's Matt Forte on fourth down in the final seconds of a scoreless first quarter, delighting a raucous Detroit crowd in the Lions' first regular-season Monday night game in a decade.

Forte was stopped short on fourth-and-1 from the Detroit 26-yard line, and after the Bears unsuccessfully challenged the call, Chicago was left without any remaining timeouts. The Bears used their first two earlier in the quarter.

Although Detroit's offense could manage only two punts in the quarter, the Bears looked unnerved by the noise of the crowd at Ford Field, committing four early false starts.

Chicago was whistled for three false starts on its first offensive series and another on its second possession. The Bears used two timeouts in the quarter in short-yardage situations.

The Bears called their first timeout while facing third-and-1 from their own 21. They picked up the first down when Detroit's Cliff Avril was called for a facemask penalty.

Chicago added two more first downs on penalties by Detroit's Willie Young — one for illegal use of hands and another for roughing the passer.

In the final minute of the quarter, Chicago called a timeout at the line of scrimmage while facing fourth-and-1. Forte was then stopped by Suh.

Detroit rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley finally made his debut. The first-round draft pick had missed his team's first four games after having surgery on his left foot.

Lions kick returner Stefan Logan made a brief appearance at running back, rushing for 6 yards on one carry before being shaken up and leaving the game.

The unbeaten Lions played in a regular-season Monday night game for the first time since 2001, and the home fans were ready. Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders was on hand to assist with the coin flip, and the fans welcomed him back with "Bar-ry! Bar-ry! chants when he walked onto the turf.