Steven and Ann Jones

TAYLORSVILLE — Ann Baker Jones, 69, of Taylorsville, a senior missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in the church's Texas San Antonio Mission, died Friday after suffering severe burns in a Thursday night fire caused by a gas leak in a kitchen stove.

President John Jewkes of the Taylorsville Utah North Stake said he understood that Sister Jones and her husband, Steven K. Jones, were preparing for bed when the fire broke out. LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said Sister Jones "was immediately flown to the Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio after the accident, where she later passed away with her husband by her side."

Jewkes said Elder Jones was not injured in the fire.

The couple has been serving in Texas since February, Jewkes said, adding that they were living in a double-wide mobile home on a remote ranch owned by members of the LDS Church in Texas.

"Ann Jones was deeply loved by all who knew her," Jewkes said. "She was a wonderful wife and mother and a faithful Latter-day Saint. She was excited to serve the Lord in any way she could. Given the circumstances, it's clear she has been called by Him to a greater work."

Jewkes said that although Jones family members and friends are "shaken by this, they are people of great faith. Their faith in that same gospel that Ann Jones has been preaching on her mission will see them through this."

Speaking on behalf of the LDS Church, Trotter said "we extend our love and sympathy to Elder Jones, his family, friends and ward members. We pray that the spirit of the Lord will bring them peace, comfort and healing."