1 of 14
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Women's 10k winner Cecily Lemmon-Lew is carried to the first aid station after she finishes the Deseret News 10k run Monday, July 25, 2011, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

SALT LAKE CITY — Cecily Lemmon-Lew made her debut in the Deseret News 10K one to remember.

A former member of the BYU track team, Lemmon-Lew crossed the finish line at Liberty Park in first place with a time of 35:35.7, and instantly fell to the ground, hyperventilating. Members of the medical staff were quick to respond and had to carry Lemmon-Lew into the medical tent, where she would receive treatment.

"It used to happen a lot when I was in high school and first starting college, and I usually know how to take care of it. But this was my first 10K on the road and sort of just forgot how to control it," said Lemmon-Lew. "I just held on for dear life, and I guess it worked out."

When asked if she was scared about her predicament, she replied, "No. I knew what was happening. Embarrassed is the best word for it."

Lemmon-Lew, a 22-year-old running for the Deseret News team, said that besides the collapse, and being delirious for a few minutes after, that this 10K ranks among the best.

"It ranks pretty high, because this was my first 10K on the road and it's a new personal best," said Lemmon-Lew. "I'm sad college racing is over, but I'm happy to make a successful transition to the road."

Emily Bates, 35, of Salt Lake City took second with a time of 35:40. She was followed by Ogden's Anna Judd (35:54), and 27-year-old Cassi Harmon 36:01.

Judd, 42, also won the Ogden half marathon back in May was very pleased with her result.

"This one is right up there with the very best," Judd said. "I have been mostly a Utah runner, and I love all the Utah races."

Judd said that her mantra is perseverance "because I've chased some times over my running career and, if you just keep going after it, you can get it."

As the majority of racers crossed the finish line, the sun was starting to make it's presence known, as it slowly began to rise above the Wasatch Front. Luckily for Judd, she had made great time and didn't have to worry about beating the heat, although her training was mostly done in the heat.

"I've been training in the heat, and I was expecting that if it was hot that I could still make it happen, so I am really happy. I've had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life, and I've had some good races, so I'm happy with that. But it's good when you have a good day out there and your body feels good the whole time."

EMAIL: cjohnson@desnews.com