April L. Brown, File, Associated Press
FILE - In this Feb. 6, 2004, file photo Donald Tyson, former chairman of Tyson Foods Inc., speaks with shareholders before the annual meeting in Fayetteville, Ark. Tyson, who led the Springdale-based poultry company to dominance in the industry, has died. The company said Tyson died Thursday morning, Jan. 6, 2011. He was 80.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Former Tyson Foods Inc. chief executive Donald J. Tyson, who led the poultry company to dominance in the industry, died Thursday at age 80.

Company spokesman Gary Mickelson said Tyson died from complications from cancer, and passed away at home with his family.

Tyson joined the business his father founded in 1952 and became its president in 1966. The company became the world's largest poultry producer under his leadership, when it bought Holly Farms in 1989. Tyson retired as senior chairman of the Springdale-based company in 2001

The former executive was recognized for his "no bad days" outlook and "was known by all to work hard, but also to play hard," the company said in a statement announcing Tyson's death.

Tyson was fined $700,000 by the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2005 and Tyson Foods paid $1.5 million to settle an investigation into lavish spending of company money between 1997 and 2001.

The SEC found that he used $3 million in company funds to pay for vacation properties in England and Mexico, and items that ranged from jewelry and artwork to a horse and clothing, all improperly documented in company regulatory filings..

Tyson Foods Inc. was founded by Don Tyson's father, John Tyson, in the early 1930s. Don Tyson added the titles of chairman and chief executive officer in 1967, the same year his father was killed in a car-train accident. He left the daily operation of the company in 1995 but remained chairman, when Leland Tollett became CEO.

Under Don's son, John R. Tyson, the company became the leading meat company with its purchase of IBP Inc. in 2001.

The Stephens Media Group first reported Tyson's death.

A private service for family is planned, and the company said a public memorial will be scheduled later.