1 of 6
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Davis High's duo of Morgan Dunford, left, and Trever Webb battle for a loose ball with Viewmont's Brody Bagshaw, right, in Tuesday night's Region 1 boys basketball clash. The Vikings came away with a 60-55 victory.

BOUNTIFUL — The Viewmont-Davis rivalry is always an intense clash when the two schools meet in any sport.

That was no different Tuesday night, both on and off the court.

On the court, Viewmont took advantage of a fourth-quarter technical foul to pull away for the 60-55 victory over the Darts in a packed Viewmont High gymnasium.

With the victory, the Vikings improved to 3-0 in Region 1 to grab an early cushion atop the standings in what figures to be a three-team race between Davis, Viewmont and Fremont.

"I think they've beat us seven in a row. You can say what you want, but until somebody else wins the region, the region championship goes through Davis High," said Viewmont coach Jeff Emery.

Off the court, a parking lot fight involving roughly a half- dozen students created a huge gathering of students, not to mention well over a dozen police officers to help get things under control.

Viewmont principal Scott Tennis said the incident likely stemmed from a similar post-game fight at a Viewmont-Davis hockey game a few weeks ago. Administrators from both schools feared a similar incident might occur on Tuesday, and additional police officers were already on hand.

Before things spilled over into the parking lot, Viewmont did just enough in the gym to pull away for the win — with a little help.

Tied 45-45 in a game neither team led by more than six points through three and a half quarters, Davis' Jace Johnson was whistled for an offensive foul with 3:26 remaining. Johnson didn't like the call and expressed his displeasure to the referee. He was quickly called for a technical foul, which turned out to be his fifth foul of the game.

Viewmont's Konner Frey and Blake Wilkinson calmly knocked down the four resulting free throws to put the Vikings ahead 49-45, a lead they never relinquished.

"That was a definite shot in the arm for us to get that, and then we can kind of dictate tempo, and down to the wire that's huge to have any kind of lead," said Emery, whose team extended the lead to 58-49 before Davis closed with a few quick scores.

Wilkinson led the way for Viewmont with 18 points, while Haden Heath chipped in with 14.

Prior to the technical foul, Davis started the fourth quarter on a 9-2 run to take a 40-38 lead and appeared poised to steal the road victory.

Comment on this story

"I didn't like our energy the entire time, but I thought in critical situations we drummed up some energy and made some critical plays," said Emery.

Viewmont shot 48 percent from the field, including seven 3-pointers. Jarom Tye accounted for two treys, both coming at critical moments in the fourth quarter.

Davis outrebounded Viewmont 34-27, but could never really get anything going offensively as it shot 40 percent from the field, including 6-of-24 from 3-point range.

The Darts were led by Trevor Webb who finished with 16 points, nine rebounds, eights assists — but nine turnovers as well.

e-mail: jedward@desnews.com