Pitt fires Haywood following his arrest

PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh fired football coach Mike Haywood on Saturday, saying he could not continue in the job he held for only 21/2 weeks because of his arrest on a domestic violence charge.

Haywood was released Saturday from St. Joseph County Jail in Indiana on $1,000 cash bond after the charge was upgraded from a misdemeanor to felony domestic battery in the presence of a minor.

Within hours of Haywood's afternoon release, Pittsburgh put out a statement from Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg, saying Haywood had been dismissed, "effective immediately," and the school was reopening its search.

Haywood, who had only two seasons as a mid-major head coach, including a one-win season, was chosen Dec. 16 following a brief search. Haywood's hiring by athletic director Steve Pederson was greeted unenthusiastically by fans, boosters, alumni and students who questioned why Pitt would hire him away from mid-major Miami (Ohio).

Gators hire Weis as offensive coordinator

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — A person familiar with the decision says Florida has hired former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the move has not been formally announced, says it will made public Monday.

Weis, hired at Notre Dame five years ago when Urban Meyer turned the Irish down to come to Gainesville, is currently the offensive coordinator for the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs. Weis will remain with them through the postseason.

Majerus suffers gashed leg during game

ST. LOUIS — Saint Louis basketball coach Rick Majerus gashed his left leg on the scorer's table after colliding with two players and missed most of the second half of a loss to Bowling Green on Saturday.

Majerus left the bench when the wound began to bleed profusely with 14:11 to go in the 67-61 loss and spent the remainder of the game getting treatment in the trainer's room. The 62-year-old coach is on blood thinner medication. Majerus told the Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home that he hoped to return to practice Monday. "Right now, it's under control," Majerus said.

Saint Louis led 37-33 when junior guard Paul Eckerle and a Bowling Green player dived for a loose ball. Majerus said he was trying to stop Eckerle's fall and didn't know how he had been upended. "Next thing I know, I'm looking up," Majerus said. "It's just unfortunate. Just dumb luck."

—Associated Press