SALT LAKE CITY — Shortly after he arrived at EnergySolutions Arena on Saturday night, Craig Bolerjack was greeted with a smile and a question by one of his co-workers.

"Do you need a Red Bull?"

It was asked only partly tongue-in-cheek.

Even though it was just 5:30 p.m., extra energy would have been nice for the popular broadcaster at the time, considering his weekend workload.

But what Bolerjack really needs about now — after logging what amounted to a broadcasting tripleheader — is a good, long nap.

The TV voice of the Jazz was on the call for three Utah sporting events in a 24-hour period. He sandwiched a little Saturday afternoon football game at Rice-Eccles Stadium on CBS-C between Friday's late Jazz game in Oakland and Saturday night's home contest versus the Clippers.

Bolerjack's busy day included more than eight hours of calling games, an hour-and-a-half flight from Northern California, an hour or so of drives to and from airports and sporting venues, but not nearly enough sleep.

As an added bonus, it was capped by a couple of five-minute overtimes in the Jazz's 109-107 win over the Los Angeles Clippers.

Which explains why a smiling-but-nonjoking Bolerjack said, "(Today), I'll just do nothing but watch NFL and lay around."

Bolerjack couldn't refuse the opportunity when it came up.

"CBS called," he explained, "and said, 'Hey, right in your own backyard might be one of the best college football games of the year. Do you want it?' And I said, 'Oh my gosh, yes!' "

Knowing he didn't want to give up the Jazz calls, he then asked his other boss, Mrs. Bolerjack, if she thought it was possible to do the back-to-back-to-back broadcasts.

Her response: "I know you want to do it, so go do it."

And "go" was the operative word for Saturday. He arrived with the team charter at Salt Lake International Airport at about 2 a.m., hit the hay about a half hour later, woke up in time to get to the U. by 10:15 a.m. and then made it back to ESA after 5 p.m. for his nightly Jazz duties.

This week might even be more difficult for Bolerjack. He'll be with the Jazz for games in Miami and Orlando on Tuesday and Wednesday, but he'll head to Knoxville, Tenn., on Thursday instead of flying to Atlanta with the team. Bolerjack will then do prep work for his Saturday football assignment on the Tennessee-Ole Miss game, and he'll rejoin the Jazz on Friday in time for the Hawks' game.

Bolerjack will part ways with Utah to return to the Volunteer State for the pigskin game, and Steve Brown will call Saturday's Jazz game in Charlotte.

If you think that sounds hard to keep up with, try helping him arrange his travel plans. Or keeping up with all the info and statistics from all of the players he will have talked about.

"It'll be a whirlwind two weeks," Bolerjack said, "but it's fun."

UNPERFECT 10: C.J. Miles missed his first 10 shots Saturday night — his first 10 official shots, that is. The Jazz's small forward hit a 3-pointer midway through the fourth quarter that gave Utah a temporary seven-point lead.

The trey was taken away, however, on the next dead ball when the referees reviewed the play on video replay and determined Miles did not get the shot off before the 24-second clock expired.

Miles snapped his streak by hitting his 11th shot, but he finished shooting 1-for-13 and missed all five official 3-point attempts. Even so, Miles finished the fourth quarter and played all 10 minutes of the two overtime sessions.

"Shots are going to come. Tonight's nothing that extra shots in the gym won't fix tomorrow," Miles said. "There will be nights like that. I know that. Coach knows that, but he believes in everything else I'm able to do on the floor, and that's what I try to do."

EAGER EVANS: Rookie Jeremy Evans was told by the Jazz's training staff that he could make the call whether or not to suit up Saturday. Consider it one of the quickest decisions of his life.

The 6-foot-9 rookie has been champing at the bit to return to the court after spraining his right wrist in the first half at Oklahoma City last Sunday. Since then, he's gone through ice and stimulation treatment, had two MRIs and waited patiently.

"It's pretty good," Evans said of his right wrist before tipoff. "I'm ready to go find out what I can't do. Right now, I feel like I can do just about anything."

Evans didn't play Saturday. But he was on the bench in a uniform, not behind it in dress clothes. He has now only appeared in two of the Jazz's six games, logging 17 minutes while scoring 11 points with two rebounds.


Twitter: DJJazzyJody

Jazz notebook