1 of 2
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Syracuse's Shane Russell, left, tries to avoid a tackle by Fremont's Tyson Montgomery after making a catch in Friday's clash. The Silver Wolves rallied from a 21-point deficit.

SYRACUSE — Cash Hancock was money for the Fremont Silver Wolves on Friday night. The senior place-kicker nailed a 25-yard field goal in overtime to lift Fremont to a dramatic 24-21 come-from-behind victory over Syracuse.

The field goal capped 14-point, fourth-quarter rally and put the Silver Wolves squarely in the middle of the Region 1 race.

For Syracuse, it was the second straight overtime loss, leaving the Titans with only a single win in region play.

Fremont head coach Kory Bosgeiter said his team's makeup was the key to its victory.

"I'm really proud of these guys," he said. They showed a lot of character."

Fremont needed all the character it could muster after a sloppy first half in which it trailed 21-0 and failed to move the ball effectively. Penalties and turnovers cost the 'Wolves on multiple drives, opening the door for Syracuse to capitalize on their miscues.

Syracuse jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a 1-yard touchdown run by Miles Persinger. The score was set up after a Taylor Carlson interception and return to the Fremont 1-yard line.

The Titans again capitalized on a Fremont turnover. Syracuse's Hunter Dimick hit Fremont quarterback Aaron Van Woerkom in the middle of his throw, causing the ball to pop into the air. Titan lineman Zach Eaton caught the ball giving Syracuse the possession on the Fremont 15-yard line.

Syracuse scored three plays later on a 6-yard pass from quarterback Tyler Jacobsen to Persinger.

Syracuse added another score in the second quarter on a 6-yard touchdown run by Jonah Lewis, which capped a 10-play 82 yard drive. The score gave Syracuse a commanding 21-0 nothing lead.

That's when the valiant Wolf rally began. Fremont answered later that quarter on a 21-yard touchdown strike from Van Woerkom to Tate Lewis.

Syracuse took a 21-7 lead into the half and, after a scoreless third quarter, the 'Wolves got busy in the fourth. Van Woerkom hit Lewis again, but this time on a 24-yard pass and Vigil added a 1-yard run at the 3:04 mark to tie the game at 21-21.

After a failed possession at the end of regulation, Syracuse had the first one in overtime.

After an incomplete pass by Jacobsen and a 3-yard run by Persinger, Syracuse attempted to throw the ball again, but Fremont's Luke Hollingsworth sacked Jacobsen for a 5-yard loss. On fourth down, instead of going for the three points on a field goal attempt, Syracuse elected to go for it on fourth-and-12. Jacobsen's pass to receiver Bubba Hill was broken up by Fremont linebacker Bryan Thompson at the goal line.

Then, on Fremont's possession, Hancock nailed the kick on fourth down, finishing off the furious 21-point rally.

Bosgeiter credited the victory and the ability to rally to the maturity of his senior class.

"It's the seniors that rallied this group," he said. "They're the glue that keeps this group together."