An electrical malfunction, not arson, is to blame for the Wednesday evening fire at Purcell Tire & Rubber Co., Murray Fire Marshal Dean Larsen said Friday.

"Evidence shows there was an electrical malfunction in the equipment in the buffing room, which created arcing and sparking, igniting flammable glues and a portion of the building," Larsen said.Investigators have not determined whether fire code violations were involved in the electrical problem that started the fire, but Larsen said Purcell has been working with the fire department to correct violations at the plant that existed before the Wednesday fire.

The buffing room destroyed by the blaze will be reconstructed differently to correct problems, Larsen said.

Damage to the building, at 5099 S. Main, and large truck tires burned was set at $250,000.

The fire was first called in at 11:04 p.m. and took more than three hours to bring under control because several privately-owned fire hydrants nearby did not have enough water pressure. Hoses had to be stretched to State Street several hundred yards away to access hydrants.