Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News
Rubber gloves used by officials investigating shooting and suicide lie in the middle of a road near the Golden Spike site Monday.

A man police believe kidnapped a Boise woman and took her to Utah shot and killed himself as officers approached his vehicle Monday morning, according to investigators.

About 9 a.m., two men who were rabbit hunting in western Box Elder County, about five miles west of the Golden Spike Monument, were flagged down by a man who said his female friend had been shot and needed help, but he didn't want assistance from police, according to a statement from the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office.

The men, however, called police after becoming highly suspicious of the individual.

"The male shot himself in the head as officers approached," according to the sheriff's office.

The woman was flown by medical helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden to be treated for a gunshot wound to the leg. Her injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

Police could not say Monday at what point they believe the woman was shot.

Names of both the man and victim, a woman in her 40s, were not released Monday pending notification of family members.

Investigators from Box Elder County, the FBI and the Boise Police Department say the ordeal began Sunday about 9:45 p.m. in Boise when the man, described by police as being from Oklahoma but recently a part-time Boise resident, went to the woman's house with a gun, forced his way in and kidnapped her.

Three children, all under the age of 10, were present and were threatened by the man, according to a statement from Boise police. The children all ran to safety at a neighbor's house, according to the police statement.

Detectives found some "evidence" inside the house, including blood. But Boise police spokeswoman Lynn Hightower said investigators did not know Monday where the blood came from or if it was related to the woman's gunshot injury.

Although the relationship between the man and victim was not revealed Monday, Boise police say the couple have a documented history of domestic violence in Boise dating back to April 2007.

Hightower would only say Monday the couple was not married. It was still under investigation, however, whether the man was living with the woman at the time of the kidnapping.

Also unknown Monday was where the man was intending to drive with the woman, whether Box Elder was his final destination or what his ultimate intentions were. As far as police knew, neither had relatives in the Box Elder area, Hightower said.

E-mail: [email protected]