A man convicted of running several Web sites that a court ruled dealt in child pornography had his sentence essentially cut in half, by recommendation of the government.

Federal prosecutors said they would not comment on the reason they petitioned a federal judge to have the five-year sentence of Charles Granere reduced to 30 months.

During a resentencing hearing on Tuesday, attorneys for Granere and the government explained the reason for the reduction in a hearing closed to the public.

Granere, along with co-defendant Matthew Duhamel, was indicted on charges of dealing in child pornography.

The two men operated Web sites dedicated to "modeling" pictures of 9- and 10-year-old girls dressed in adult clothing, including lingerie, miniskirts and two-piece bikinis. The girls also were depicted in sexually suggestive poses.

Although the two men argued that the photos were not pornographic in nature because the girls were fully clothed, U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell ruled that the U.S. Supreme Court had determined such content can be considered pornographic.

Last year Duhamel and Granere were sentenced to five years in federal prison.

During Tuesday's hearing, Campbell ordered Granere's sentence reduced for what she said was things done in "making amends" for his actions.

Granere, 28, told the court with his new sentence, he anticipated being released in February 2009. Campbell said he was still a young man with a promising future ahead of him.


E-mail: [email protected]