COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — An electrical problem is suspected of causing a two-alarm fire that ripped through a home early Tuesday where 11 people were living.

The fire near 7500 South and 2000 East started after 1 a.m. in the garage. Flames quickly shot through the window and climbed the wall of the house onto the roof and into the attic.

Damage was estimated at more than $200,000. Because damage to the garage was so extensive, fire officials said Wednesday that an official cause of the fire would be undetermined. Investigators believe, however, an extension cord somehow caused an electrical problem that sparked the blaze.

But whether the cord shorted out or overheated or was part of an overloaded outlet was unknown.

No one was injured in the fire.