Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News
Timpanogos High's Parker Brown heads the ball over Spingville's Andrew Dearden during both teams' season opener Wednesday.

OREM — Nothing went as planned for the Springville and Timpanogos boys soccer teams when they opened their seasons up on Wednesday.

Strong winds made for tricky playing conditions on the field all afternoon, and the game ended up turning into a defender's nightmare with Springville winning a nine-goal showdown 5-4.

Joe Shinners scored two goals for the Red Devils and Phil Dangerfield added a goal and an assist as the teams took turns cranking up their attacks, depending on which one had the wind at its back.

"The wind just wreaked havoc for both teams," said Springville coach Rick Bertelsen. "The wind just moves the ball everywhere. The first time out you just never know what you're going to have for sure."

Besides the weather, both teams looked a lot more smooth on offense than on defense, and the strikers on both teams took advantage.

The Red Devils had the wind at their backs for the first half and made it count with four goals in the first 40 minutes.

Dangerfield fired in a rocket for the early 1-0 lead, and Jake Bertelsen followed up with a penalty kick in the 11th minute.

Timpanogos' back line struggled and the T-Wolves' only first-half score came five minutes later when they won their own penalty kick. Trevor Henderson converted from the spot to cut the lead in half.

With the wind keeping the ball in its attacking half, Springville took advantage of two critical defensive errors to score twice more.

Bryson Pope took the ball right through three T-Wolves defenders that all failed to clear and scored in the 26th minute. Three minutes before the whistle, Shinners was left unmarked at the far post and easily knocked in a cross, making the score 4-1.

Timpanogos turned the tables when the wind was at its back in the second half but came up one goal short of forcing extra time.

Parker Brown re-centered a long corner kick in the 51st minute that Josh Jensen hit home. Wyatt Levin scored on a rebound 10 minutes later to make the score 4-3.

Springville put the game away in the 69th minute when Shinners scored on a beautiful through ball from Dangerfield.

Levin hit home again in the 79th minute, kicking in a ball that had rebounded back to him off the cross bar.

Henderson had a chance to tie it in stoppage time, but his shot sailed over the goal.

"We finished when we needed to finish," said Bertelsen. "We got a lot of shots, and we did OK. I was pleased with the way we played."