1 of 3
Tom Smart, Deseret Morning News
Edgar Tiedemann points to a map of the murder scene during his trial today. He is accused of murdering Susan Sessions and Charles Timberman.

A jury has found Edgar Tiedemann guilty on all counts for the shooting death of two people and the attempted murder of a 14-year-old boy that happened almost 17 years ago.

The jury began deliberations at about 11:40 a.m. today and is preparing to return to the courtroom now.

Earlier today, Tiedemann denied committing the killings and instead pointed the finger at the woman who survived the melee — saying he had spent more than a decade covering for her.

Tiedemann, now 61, said it was Debra Pryor who pulled the trigger back in November of 1991 at his West Valley trailer.

Susie Sessions, 31, was shot through the eye and killed. Her 14-year-old son, Scott Brunnell, witnessed the slaying and was shot multiple times, suffering injuries that left him paralyzed. Prosecutors say he died years later from complications resulting from the shooting.

Charles Timberman, 44, sustained gunshots that punctured his aorta and lung as he lay in bed next to Pryor. He told her quietly to play dead, which she testified earlier this week she did, until Tiedemann confronted her. Her boyfriend died next to her.

In testimony presented earlier this week in the trial, Pryor said she was able to escape with her life after she promised to take Tiedemann somewhere to get cocaine.

But Tiedemann, who is charged with two counts of first-degree felony murder and one count of attempted murder, said today that he heard gunshots that night and emerged from his room to see Pryor holding a .32-caliber handgun.

Pryor tossed him the gun and told him "load it up," Tiedemann testified, adding that he followed her instructions.

He saw Sessions' body and her son was lying on the floor. He testified he started to cry and explained that he was in love with Sessions, who did not reciprocate his feelings and instead mocked him on a regular basis.

On cross-examination by prosecutors, Tiedemann was asked why, given his feelings for Sessions, he would spend the last 17 years covering up for her killer.

He offered no explanation.

Initially, after being charged, Tiedemann was found mentally incompetent to stand trial and was committed to the state mental hospital.

In testimony offered today, Tiedemann admitted to a daily habit of sniffing paint thinner since the age of 12.

In 2002, the hospital released Tiedemann due to budget constraints, forcing prosecutors to refile murder charges.

E-MAIL: [email protected]