1 of 3
Tom Smart, Deseret Morning News
Patrick Terry skis down the slopes at Sundance. Skiing started at the resort about 1946 when the area was known as Timp Haven.
Week 9 of series on Utah's signature ski runs.

Signature and No. 1 Run

Bishop's Bowl

As might be expected at some resorts, consensus is that the run most identified with the resort, or its signature run, is also the resort's most popular run. Bishop's Bowl is rated as an advanced intermediate to expert run, which means it has appeal to a wide range of skiers and snowboarders. The run is accessed by a hard left turn off the Arrowhead lift. Among the reasons given for its popularity is that from the top it offers excellent

views of Deer Creek Reservoir and the Heber Valley, not to mention an up-close view of the backside of Mount Timpanogos, which is the resort's natural backdrop. From there, skiers and snowboarders drop into the top of the bowl and into some of the best wide-open terrain around.

Top 10 runs

1. Bishop's Bowl; 2. Far East is a double black diamond run accessed from the top of Arrowhead Lift, and is reached by taking the upper section of Bishop's Bowl, heading into the pines and then staying on the ridge past Shauna's Secret to the steep bowls and ridges of the Far East area; 3. Bearclaw is an intermediate run that is also accessed off Arrowhead, and is reached by following the ridge, taking in views of Utah Valley and Bridal Veil Falls, and at the saddle dropping into Bearclaw and a wide-open, groomed run; 4. Drop Out is an advanced intermediate to expert run accessed off Flathead or Arrowhead lifts and is reached by staying along the west ridge at Redfinger and then to Drop Out, which is a small bowl that offers great snow and is typically one of the last powder areas skied out; 5. Grizzly Bowl is an advanced to expert run accessed from Flathead or Arrowhead lifts and is located at the bottom of Amy's Ridge and is known for its great snow and long run to the bottom of Flathead; 6. Redfinger is an expert run accessed off Flathead or Arrowhead lifts and is located at the apex of the cat track out of Bishop's Bowl and bottom of Upper Grizzly Bowl and is one of the steepest runs on the mountain; 7. Top Gun is an advanced intermediate to expert run, accessed off the top of Ray's lift, and is one of the steeper groomed runs located on the front of the mountain; 8. Hills is an advanced intermediate to expert run accessed from Arrowhead lift and is reached by following the ridge to a small cat track in the saddle, which runs into Hills and offers tree skiing or the opportunity to test a wide-open bowl in great snow; 9. Wildflower is an intermediate run accessed off Arrowhead Lift and is reached by following Amy's Ridge to the run, which is frequently groomed and empties into Bearclaw; 10. Stampede is a beginner run accessed of the Midway stop off Ray's Lift and is a wide-open run that is groomed daily and delivers beginners a wide variety of terrain features.

History

It was in 1901 that the family of S. Paul Stewart purchased the land where the ski resort is now located. They paid a whopping $2.50 per acre. Long before there were skiers sliding on the slopes, sheep casually grazed under the cliffs of Mount Timpanogos. Skiing started around 1946 when Raymond Stewart installed a rope tow and began calling the ski area Timp Haven. It became unique in the ski industry because it closed on Sunday. Said Stewart, nicknamed "Speed," six days was enough. Stewart himself didn't ski. He said he didn't have time, but his children did.

The first run cut on the mountainside was short and finished by crossing North Fork Creek via a bridge of cut logs covered with straw. In 1951, a used lift purchased from Park City was installed.

In 1957, skiing legend Junior Bounous, now director of skiing at Snowbird, came back to Utah, bought into the ski area and started a ski school. That was also the year Timp Haven created a tubing hill and skating rink. The owners purchased 600 tubes and rented them out for 50 cents a day.

By 1960, there were two lifts and three tows in operation — one modern chairlift, a pomalift, two T-bars and a rope tow.

In 1963, Robert Redford built a home near the resort and took an interest in getting into the ski business. He purchased the resort in 1968. The name was to come from a movie part he'd been offered — "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." At first, Redford objected to the name, claiming it was too pretentious.

Upon taking over the resort, Redford carved out new ski runs, added more parking and built a lodge.