Seventeen new patents were awarded to Utah inventors on Jan. 29. They are:
• Methods for manufacturing endodontic instruments by milling. Paul Lewis, Midvale. Assigned to Ultradent Products Inc., South Jordan. Filed Nov. 18, 2005. Patent No. 7,322,105.
• Joint for bullet traps. Thomas Marshall, Lane Jackson, Addison Sovine, Kyle Bateman, all of Provo. Assigned to Action Target Inc., Provo. Filed Aug. 4, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,322,771.
• Water devices and methods for making and using such devices. Jennifer D. Ross, Draper. Filed Aug. 11, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/523,344, filed Nov. 19, 2003. Patent No. 7,322,868.
• Apparatus and method for the multi-axial placement of surgical fasteners. Hugh H. Trout III, Bethesda, Md. Howard M. Tanner, Logan. Assigned to EVA Corp., Bethesda, Md. Filed Dec. 20, 2002, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/341,852, filed Dec. 21, 2001. Patent No. 7,322,943.
• Bone anchors for use in attaching soft tissue to a bone. Hugh S. West Jr., Salt Lake City. Assigned to HS West Investments LLC, Sandy. Filed June 22, 2004. Patent No. 7,322,978.
• Method of removing a fastener. Hugh Trout, Washington, D.C.; Howard M. Tanner, Logan. Assigned to EVA Corp., Bethesda, Md. Filed Jun. 19, 2002, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/299,188, filed June 20, 2001. Patent No. 7,322,992.
• Hay baling laminate of a nonwoven and a knitted net. Thomas Dort, James Flick, both of Wichita, Kan.; Mike DeWeese, Dennis Gregory McCabe, both of Kingman, Kan.; Lyndie Henrie, Kaysville; Paul Schmidt, Pretty Prairie, Kan.; Nick Carter, Mooresville, N.C. Assigned to Polymer Group Inc., Charlotte, N.C. Filed Oct. 22, 2004. Patent No. 7,323,074.
• Electronically-controlled locker system. Richard R. Ford, Edward E. Johnson, Lance C. Osborne, all of Asheville, N.C.; David W. Johnson, West Valley City; Kevin E. Booth, Mapleton; Harry N. Popolow, Cherry Hill, N.J.; Jon S. Loftin, Arden, N.C. Assigned to Penco Products Inc., Oaks, Pa.; Digitech International Inc., Asheville, N.C. Filed Jan. 21, 2005, a continuation of Patent No. 6,879,243, filed Feb. 14, 2002. Patent No. 7,323,967.
• Methods for discovering devices within a wireless network. Kenin Page, Elwin Hunt, both of Sandy. Assigned to 3Com Corp., Marlborough, Mass. Filed July 25, 2002. Patent No. 7,324,462.
• Geophysical technique for mineral exploration and discrimination based on electromagnetic methods and associated systems. Michael S. Zhdanov, Salt Lake City. Assigned to University of Utah, University of Utah Research Foundation, both of Salt Lake City. Filed Jul. 24, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,324,899.
• Locally operated desktop environment for a remote computing system. Thanh N. Truong, Salt Lake City. Assigned to University of Utah Research Foundation, Salt Lake City. Filed Aug. 30, 2005, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/605,741, filed Aug. 30, 2004. Patent No. 7,325,040.
• Method for automatically creating a modem interface for use with a wireless device. Chad Milito, Ogden; Mark Price, Midvale; R. Kenin Page, Sandy; Assigned to 3Com Corp., Marlborough, Mass. Filed July 3, 2002. Patent No. 7,325,048.
• Method and system for data recovery in a continuous data protection system. Roger Keith Stager, Donald Alvin Trimmer, Craig Anthony Johnston, all of Livermore, Calif.; Pawan Saxena, Pleasanton, Calif.; Randall Johnson, Pleasant Grove; Yafen Peggy Chang, Fremont, Calif.; Rico Blaser, San Francisco. Assigned to Network Appliance Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif. Filed Feb. 4, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/541,626, filed Feb. 4, 2004. Patent No. 7,325,159.
• Eyeglass case. Bruce Raile, Park City. Assigned to Sun Optics Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed July 26, 2005. Design Patent No. D560,360.
• Saddlebag flower planter. Larry R. Laycock, Alpine. Filed Aug. 25, 2006. Design Patent No. D560,550.
• Compact transmitter apparatus. Bradley C. Kofford, Bountiful. Assigned to Controlled Entry Distributors Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed Dec. 14, 2006. Design Patent No. D560,688.• Playground equipment. Bryan Phelps, Corey Phillips, both of Roy. Assigned to Performance Design Inc., Clearfield. Filed Aug. 23, 2006. Design Patent No. D560,740.
Karl R. Cannon is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail [email protected]. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.