• Negotiate your best price to avoid paying too much.
• Ask for concessions or home warranties. Motivated sellers will often consider your requests if they are reasonable.
• Work with professionals who understand the market area and know the recent comparable sales in that area.
• Do your homework. Consumers should do their own online research to be better educated.
• Shop around for favorable financing from a reputable lender.
• Know and understand your needs and wants and make sure they are being met. If a home is not what you need, then it's not a good buy.
• Expect to get a steal there are very few out there. Have reasonable expectations.
• Get caught in a buying frenzy. In a multiple-offer situation, step back and look at the whole picture before making an offer.
• Assume local trends mirror national trends. Get the facts about your local economic situation.
• Buy outside your means.
Source: Deseret Morning News reporting