A construction worker who was electrocuted at the Utah State Capitol came in contact with an exposed wire, authorities said.
The Utah Department of Public Safety released details Tuesday on the death of John Welsh, 30, of Layton. His body was found Jan. 4 in a crawl space beneath the west wing of the Capitol, at the same time a rededication ceremony was commencing.
DPS investigators said that by the time rescuers were able to reach Welsh, he was dead.
"They found that there was an electrical wire above the body that was exposed," DPS spokesman Cameron Roden said in a statement Tuesday. "In conjunction with the office of the medical examiner for the state of Utah, it was found that the death was an accidental electrocution."