Rich Quinn already knew how his wife Vanessa died.

"Then you read it in simple English, and it's kind of painful," he said Tuesday, the day Salt Lake City police released their final report on the Trolley Square mall massacre.

Although it details what happened the tragic night of Feb. 12, the 10-page report, supplemented with 32 pages of diagrams and evidence logs, does not offer much that wasn't already known.

The biggest question — why — remains a mystery.

"Surprisingly, law enforcement was able to learn relatively little about Sulejman Talovic and his motive for committing these atrocities," the report says.

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank admitted that not being able to clearly identify a motive is frustrating.

"That's tough when we don't have all the answers," he said Tuesday.

The report was based on extensive interviews by homicide detectives with victims, survivors, witnesses, as well as Talovic's relatives, friends, co-workers and teachers.

Rich Quinn said he was grateful for the police department's efforts.

"To try to get some answers even though nobody expected to find any, I was extremely impressed," he told the Deseret Morning News.


The report was first released to the victims' families and the survivors during a meeting Tuesday morning at the U.S. Attorney's Office. The families of the victims met with police officers and other first responders.

"It was just a very real one-on-one personal kind of thing," said Ken Hammond, the off-duty Ogden police officer who got into a shootout with Talovic. "To be able to see family members of the victims, it made it that much more real and personal."

Out of respect for the families, Hammond said he would not reveal what was said in that meeting. Burbank also declined to discuss the meeting, but did say that even though the report was the end of the police investigation — it was not the end of his department's involvement.

"As far as an ongoing study on how can we respond better, how can we prevent this from happening again, it's nowhere near over," he said.

Armed with a pistol-grip shotgun and a .38-Special revolver, the 18-year-old Talovic shot and killed Teresa Ellis, 29; Brad Frantz, 24; Kirsten Hinckley, 15; Vanessa Quinn, 29; and Jeffrey Walker, 52. He wounded Stacy Hanson, Shawn Munns, Carolyn Tuft and AJ Walker in the rampage.

The report revealed that in many instances, Talovic went back to the people he shot and fired on them again, delivering a fatal shot. After shooting up the Cabin Fever card shop, he encountered Hammond, who then distracted Talovic.

Talovic was then killed in a shoot-out with police.

The report revealed Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Andy Oblad fired twice at Talovic after the gunman first fired his shotgun at the officer. Oblad and Hammond faced Talovic together from one direction. From the opposite direction, Sgt. Josh Scharman fired three rounds into Talovic's back and then two more into his chest and one into his head after Talovic turned to face him. Detective Brett Olsen fired five times at Talovic and then twice more when he turned toward him. Detective Dustin Marshall fired another five rounds at Talovic.

Talovic was struck 15 times by police gunfire, the report said. A total of 29 shotgun shells fired by Talovic were recovered at the crime scene.


What caused Talovic to commit what the report called, "one of the worst murder incidents in the history of the city," is still unknown.

"None of the people interviewed believed the violent act committed by Sulejman Talovic could have been predicted," the report states.

As has been reported by the Deseret Morning News, Talovic was characterized as a loner who rarely socialized and would not initiate any conversations. Police do not believe the Bosnian immigrant's Muslim faith, terrorism, violent video games or other influences can be attributed as reasons for the massacre. An autopsy found no drugs or alcohol in his system.

The only indication that anyone knew he was going to do something was in a phone call he made the night before to Monika Ibrahimovic, a sort-of girlfriend he had in Amarillo, Texas. The report said he told her "Tomorrow would be the happiest day of his life, but that it could only happen once."

He did not elaborate on what that meant.

Talovic did not yell anything in a foreign language during the killing spree, the report said. The only words officers heard Talovic speak — his final words — were "(expletive) you," which he said in English.

Talovic was wearing a box-shaped locket no bigger than a finger-nail on a chain around his neck when he was killed. A family member told police the locket is called a hamajlija, but detectives do not believe it was a sign that religion was a motivation in the killing spree.

Vickie Walker, whose husband Jeff was killed, and son AJ was wounded, said a lack of motive was not surprising.

"They did the best they could," she said. "I just think he was someone that just didn't fit in and was hurting incredibly deep."

The only information police had about Talovic's mental state was that once he was taken to Salt Lake Regional Hospital to be treated for anxiety when his hands started shaking at work.

A search of Talovic's room at his house following the shootings revealed a gun cleaning kit, a receipt from the Sportsman's Pawn Shop where the shotgun was purchased for $201.48 three months prior and a Muslim prayer book.

"There was no indication or evidence in the residence of extremist ideology, paraphernalia or photographs," the report said.

Talovic's family said they did not want to talk about the report.

"Yeah, I heard," Suljo Talovic said when reached by the Deseret Morning News. "I don't want to talk to the media."

Burbank said Talovic's family was given notice of the report prior to its release.

The parents of Vanessa Quinn, who have been fighting in the courts to be declared "crime victims" of the man who sold Talovic the .38-Special used to kill her, also met privately on Tuesday with U.S. Attorney for Utah Brett Tolman. Ken and Sue Antrobus' case is pending before the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver.

"We gave them an update on our firearm cases," said U.S. Attorney spokeswoman Melodie Rydalch.

Releasing a final report like this is unusual for the Salt Lake City Police Department, Burbank admitted. From the standpoint that it answered some of the questions that victims and their families had, it was a good thing, he said. What the report doesn't show is the amount of time the investigation entailed.

"It doesn't come close to capturing the depth of the investigation," Burbank said. "It was a very comprehensive investigation."

The managers of Trolley Square issued a statement Tuesday offering their condolences to the victims and their families and thanks to the rescuers and store owners who helped save lives that night. The mall is planning a daylong silent memorial on the one-year anniversary at Trolley Square's south amphitheater.

E-mail: [email protected]; [email protected]