SOUTH SALT LAKE — More than a dozen employees of a medical supply company were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday night.

Emergency crews were called to Cardinal Health, 955 W. 3100 South, about 8:45 p.m. Employees were complaining of feeing nauseous and some were vomiting, said South Salt Lake Fire Chief Steve Foote.

Crews determined that high winds from the front preceding Monday's snowstorm blew the vent off the roof, Foote said.

"It made venting of the heating system ineffective," he said. "Carbon monoxide started to build up at high rates. It was way too high."

A total of 15 people were sent to local hospitals. Most were expected to be treated and released, Foote said. Rescue crews estimated the longest any employee may have been exposed to carbon monoxide before rescue crews were called was over six hours.

Fortunately, enough people began to feel sick that employees knew it was more than a coincidence. Otherwise, Foote said, the situation may have had fatal results if employees hadn't have called for help.

Cardinal Health fixed its venting problems and was open again Monday.