Tom Smart, Deseret Morning News
South Salt Lake police confer at the site of an officer-involved shooting, the second in three days

SOUTH SALT LAKE — Officers responding to a domestic violence call Wednesday afternoon shot a man who police say opened fire on them first. It is the second officer-involved shooting by South Salt Lake police in three days.

The victim in Wednesday's shooting died after being taken by ambulance to an area hospital in critical condition, said detective Gary Keller. The man's name has not been released by police.

Emergency dispatchers received a call about 1:20 p.m. of a domestic violence situation in progress at 3300 South Washington St. (240 West). Keller said the call was placed by a third party.

When officers arrived, a man, whose name and age have not yet been released, stepped onto the porch with a handgun and began firing at officers, Keller said.

The officers, who were not injured, returned fire, striking the man.

Keller did not know how many total shots were fired by either the man or the officers. Little other information about the shooting was released Wednesday afternoon, including whether officers had been to the house before on domestic violence complaints.

The two officers will be put on standard paid administrative leave pending an investigation by the Salt Lake District Attorney's Office, Keller said.

That makes a total of four officers from the two shootings on paid administrative leave. South Salt Lake Police has an estimated 58 officers in its patrol division.

"It does put a strain on our patrol staff," Keller said. "We will do what we need to to continue to provide protection to the citizens of our community."

Keller called the two officer-involved shootings this week very "uncommon."

"It's been a very long time since we had an officer-involved shooting. Now we have had two in a row, " Keller said.

On Monday, Ross Sullivan was shot and killed after police received a call on a "mental subject" who had been tossing items off his third-story apartment balcony, including a Christmas tree. After police arrived, officers spent 90 minutes trying to talk him out of his apartment. At some point, he opened the door and lunged at them with a sword, police said. One officer's jacket was cut in the attack before Sullivan was shot to death.

E-mail: [email protected]