Some ideas for an economic stimulus package:
• Tax rebates: Rebate checks would be in any final stimulus measure.
• Business tax write-offs: GOP and White House are pushing so-called bonus depreciation, which gives businesses extra incentive to invest in property and equipment.
• Unemployment insurance: Democrats want to extend unemployment benefits for people whose benefits run out after 26 weeks
• Food stamps: Democrats want to boost food stamp benefits on the theory that low-income recipients will quickly spend that money.
• Medicaid: Democrats are pressing to raise Medicaid payments to states, an element of a 2003 economic plan signed by Bush.