You could go the Sundance Film Festival to see celebrities. Or instead, you could go up there to see movies.
I'll be doing both. But I'll be wishing I was doing more of the latter.
While Sundance-ing, I've always favored the more off-beat fare, which includes the documentaries, World Cinema features and Park City and Midnight curiosities. You're less likely to see these films pop up in theaters later.So, here are 10 films at Sundance this year one of them is actually playing at the competing Slamdance Film Festival that have caught my eye:
• ADVENTURES OF POWER (Jan. 20, 21 and 26 in Park City; Jan. 24 in Salt Lake City)
• BE KIND REWIND (Jan. 20, 21 and 22 in Park City; Jan. 24 in Ogden; Jan. 26 in Salt Lake City)
• CHOKE (Jan. 21, 22, 24 and 25 in Park City; Jan. 25 in Salt Lake City)
• JUST ANOTHER LOVE STORY (Jan. 20, 21 and 23 in Park City; Jan. 26 in Provo Canyon)
• GEORGE A. ROMERO'S DIARY OF THE DEAD (Jan. 22 in Salt Lake City; Jan. 26 and 27 in Park City)
• MADE IN AMERICA (Jan. 20, 22 and 25 in Park City; Jan. 26 in Salt Lake City)
• THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH (Jan. 21, 23 and 24 in Park City; Jan. 22 in Salt Lake City)
• PARANORMAL ACTIVITY (Jan. 20 in Park City)
• MAN ON WIRE (Jan. 22, 23, 24 and 26 in Park City; Jan. 25 in Salt Lake City)
• SUNSHINE CLEANING (Jan. 20, 21, 24 and 25 in Park City)
If you go . . .
What: Sundance Film Festival '08
Where: Various venues in Park City, Salt Lake City, Ogden and the Sundance resort (Provo Canyon)
When: Jan. 17-27
How much: $15 ($10 wait-list tickets)
Also . . .
What: Slamdance Film Festival 2008
Where: Treasure Mountain Inn, 255 Main St., Park City
When: Jan. 17-25
How much: $11 ($8.50 for Utah residents)
Phone: 435-649-9071Web: www.slamdance.com